KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Yorkshire words and sayings.

Returning to Bernard's post on Jul 28, 2007 - my sense of the word "nark" was of someone who was a persistent irritant (the manager who was never satisfied with the job etc.) rather than simply someone who bemoaned his own lot. Was this how others viewed the term or did they apply it to any moaner?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Hi Shaun, a furtherance of the man made o' band was the addition "tied up wi string."
I well recall the use of the term "shook" to describe a person of questionable sanity or normality.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Not sure about "bemoaned his own lot". Rather just moaned a lot.

Reminds me of a word I've been meaning to ask about: did anyone use the term "nerks" (? "nurks") to mean chips? I've never heard it used anywhere but my own village and even there not for about 50 years.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 54-59

Current location (optional) United Kingdom

Finurks=Fish and chips

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) Haworth

Was surprised a few years ago to be behind an old fella in Greggs, Headingley. He finishes his request with '.....and gie us a couple o' growlers as well' She certainly knew what he meant. Do you ? In fact it prompted me to have one too. Theres nowt like a decent growler.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Growlers? Pork pies of course!'ad tha' nivver 'eard on 'em afore?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 -65

Current location (optional) Embsay Nr. Skipton

Nivver 'ad in mi Keighley days Brian. Jack Hird used to deliver us meat, including them, but ah nivver knew 'em as growlers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Could it be because they caused an intestinal rumble?

There wer some grand growler (pieces of growler) available in the buffet at the recent (yesterday) kbgs reunion - another success down to Doug Thompson.

Get thissens theer next year - numbers are falling due to Annie Domini and it would be a shame that fewer Keighlians than hitherto fore enjoy the fleshpots so tastefully served up at this annual event.

Get thissens theer!

There wer some grand growler (pieces of growler) available in the buffet at the recent (yesterday) kbgs reunion - another success down to Doug Thompson.

I wouldn't be brave enough to tell you what a growler is down this part of the world! Pleased to hear that the re-union went off well and look forward to seeing a few pics soon. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, New Zealand

As far as I'm aware there has only ever been one mention on this site (by Dave Baldwin) of the scrattin' shed at KRLFC. When I was a child it just seemed part of our language. I assumed scrattin' sheds were everywhere (whatever they were).
My father said it was Keighley for "scratching shed". But what did that mean?
Can anyone enlighten me as to the origin of the term, and why it should be used at a RL ground?

Current location (optional) Leeds

There's a scratting shed at Wharfedale RUFC - is this a common name for the basic weather shelter provided for loyal supporters who prefer to provide an afternoon of shrewd advice to the ref in contrast to the more refined comments from the 'stand'?

Current location (optional) Embsay Nr Skipton

I don't know the answer to Shaun's question but I suspect it could be a transfer of usage from agricultural to sporting events - although there was a theatre (flicks) in Batley with a scratting shed.

A cry that came out from Lawkholme's scratting shed was - "come on the steam pigs" - ie a hot scrum on a frosty day

Others have scratched their heads over your question Shaun:

http://i.rlfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=564118

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 54-59

As a lifelong poultry farmer, a "Scrattin" shed would be just that ,a covered ,dry , shed, for the old hens to "Scrat" about in .No doubt Agricultural origin.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania