KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Shops

Apart from Fairlie's and Greenwood's (Guardhouse Post Office, in addition to general groceries), one of the first shops I remember was the sweetie shop opposite Highfield Secondary School that we used to attend when at the adjoining Highfield Infants'. Sweets came in a conical paper poke. For the secondary school kids there were cigarettes, similarly dispensed, at 3d each. One of the main shopping thoroughfares when I was at KBGS was Low Street. It has Marks and Sparks in it, of course, and the arcade at the bottom with Gott and Butterfield's ironmongers. That place had a particular smell that I can imagine to this day. Cosy Corner, the fleapit cinema was on Low Street too. Glad to hear that Barwick and Haggas are still on the go, Brian. I hear that Reid's bookshop is still in business too, thought relocated. Any more survivors?

Fags at 3p each? Crikey! At Fred's Wills Woodbines were 1p each. Were yours Benson and Hedges or some similar quality brand Alan? Or was Fred a poor businessman?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 -65

Current location (optional) Embsay Nr. Skipton

Herbert Wadsworth's Post Office in Marlborough Street, right against Eastwood School, sold cigs to kids for 2d a time. They would open several packets of differing price and quality and mix them in a drawer under the counter.

For your tuppence (around 1953/4) you might get a Turf; a Woodbine; Senior Service; Players Navy Cut; Capstan Medium; Robin; Park Drive; Piccadilly; Three Castles; Gold Flake.....

You could say it was the luck of the drawer!! Boom! Boom!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana