KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shops

As we seem to be all done on chip shops, I wondered about shops in general, the local ones like Fairlie's and Greenwood's where I lived, to the ones downtown in the metropolis, like Bruce Johnston's. Many, if not all of them, will now have disappeared, but those still resident in Keighley may tell us of any survivors?

Re: Shops

Barwick and Haggas jewellers down Cavendish Street, which my wife (unfortunately) visits occasionally and spends some more of my hard earned pension!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 -65

Current location (optional) Embsay Nr. Skipton

A few years ago whilst doing my one stop shop at M`s I bumped into the Manager and told him in no uncertain terms that he`d better watch his backside as the likes of Aldi were after his customers .He just laughed in my face. Who is laughing now? When my fatherex K.B.G.S was a lad food was bought at different shops all over Kly. Whilst shopping habits might have changed in a century the old habits of looking for the best deal seem to have re-appeared in a 21st century disguise.i.e.going to one Supermarket for one thing and then seeking out a bargain in another. Even Len Goodman has got in on the act of marking like they did at K.B.G.S.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) Haworth

Apart from Fairlie's and Greenwood's (Guardhouse Post Office, in addition to general groceries), one of the first shops I remember was the sweetie shop opposite Highfield Secondary School that we used to attend when at the adjoining Highfield Infants'. Sweets came in a conical paper poke. For the secondary school kids there were cigarettes, similarly dispensed, at 3d each. One of the main shopping thoroughfares when I was at KBGS was Low Street. It has Marks and Sparks in it, of course, and the arcade at the bottom with Gott and Butterfield's ironmongers. That place had a particular smell that I can imagine to this day. Cosy Corner, the fleapit cinema was on Low Street too. Glad to hear that Barwick and Haggas are still on the go, Brian. I hear that Reid's bookshop is still in business too, thought relocated. Any more survivors?

Fags at 3p each? Crikey! At Fred's Wills Woodbines were 1p each. Were yours Benson and Hedges or some similar quality brand Alan? Or was Fred a poor businessman?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 -65

Current location (optional) Embsay Nr. Skipton

Herbert Wadsworth's Post Office in Marlborough Street, right against Eastwood School, sold cigs to kids for 2d a time. They would open several packets of differing price and quality and mix them in a drawer under the counter.

For your tuppence (around 1953/4) you might get a Turf; a Woodbine; Senior Service; Players Navy Cut; Capstan Medium; Robin; Park Drive; Piccadilly; Three Castles; Gold Flake.....

You could say it was the luck of the drawer!! Boom! Boom!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana