KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Telegraph and Argus - 50 years on.

Today, Terry Marston achieved notoriety. The Telegraph and Argus, "ON THIS DAY, 50 years on",celebrated Margaret Nunweek and Terry Marston's wedding being held up for almost 30 minutes because the safe holding the marriage register was unable to be opened. The safe at the Sandbeds Methodist Church had been accidentally sealed when it was painted.
It failed to congratulate Terry and his wife on their golden wedding.Fifteen minutes of fame has come from half an hour.
Congratulations.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1949 - 54

Current location (optional) Bingley

Re: Telegraph and Argus - 50 years on.

Congratulations Terry and Margaret.

I am delving into the corners of my brains Methodist archives, and think the Minister at Sandbeds at that time was Rev Kenneth D Beardsley. He often preached at Lund Park Methodists where I was organist

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Thanks for the reminder, chaps. Sadly I lost my wife of 37 years in 2001.

Coincidentally, on the actual 50th anniversary, last Monday, I had lunch with my younger son, my sister-in-law and her husband (who gave away the bride) in Oakworth - overlooking (now there's a characteristic Yorkshire occupation)the Haworth uplands.

On the actual wedding day, I sat in the church with my best man awaiting my bride. 11 o'clock came; 1105-10-15-20. My best man muttered his sympathy; the guests started to mutter and shuffle until eventually my groomsman (ex-KBGS)came and gave us the lowdown on the real, as opposed to the feared, situation. Relief!! - and end of embarrassment.

The story made the paper because the Keighley News photographer, Alan Hargreaves, father of a good friend, lived across the road and thought he might get some pics for the paper. Press cuttings were sent to our honeymoon hotel where we were trying to look like an old married couple!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Rev.Beardsley still going strong .Saw a photo of him in the K.N .the other week.Reminds me of the time when several K.B.G.S pupils corpsed at Lund Park Chapel one Sunday morning whilst listening to an elderly minister banging on continuously about doing one`s duty in a bucket and making sure you filled it up.Having said that one had to act like a corpse after morning Assembly for the prefects to dismiss you ! Remember Halliwell and O`Brian for being particularly vicious.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) Haworth