KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Getting to School

I recently “nostalgicated “ by viewing the first school where I taught in York in the ‘60s (my 20s. )

“In my day,” staff (who had one) parked their car in the street. The revamped site had a large area , that once was playground, earmarked for staff parking.

It took me back to my days at KBGS when I recalled which staff had “what?” parked “where?”

I recall Gilbert had a low-slung car of which Maigret would have been proud. “Wilbur” Bloomfield had a green Morris Minor estate with wooden bits and split windscreen. There were several cyclists but if you came from far-flung Silsden like Marcus Stott, you needed a Riley. I think Nev (Old Nick) had a Wolseley – but rarely seen on school business. Most parked their cars in Lord Street.

Staff ‘bus commuters were handy policemen for disciplining pupil travellers. Harry Blinks was renowned for quelling trouble from standing pupils on the ‘bus journey into Keighley from Kingsway – often with a subtly delivered kidney punch which went unremarked except by the recipient.

Bad behaviour on the ‘buses often led to a “Saturday Morning” - (custody of the “Old Man”) – dreaded by the House Rugby Captain, struggling to turn out XV.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Re: Getting to School

Not too many had cars in my day. I recall that Old Nick had a Hillman then and one day one of our lads died from peritonitis. We were in form two and Old Nick selected three lads to attend the funeral out at Cowling (I think). The three lads chosen were the three who sat next to or behind in class, the lad who died, Geoffrey Jacques. I saw a different Headmaster on that trip out and back. He was really very considerate to us youngsters who were scared stiff of going in the Headmasters car. It sure was a lesson in life and we became aware that it was not just old people who died.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Getting to School

Similar experience, Bill, when in my final year, we returned from the holidays to find that one of our number and a contemporary, David Hollings, who had started a course at Bradford Tech, had sadly died.

David Harrison and I (there may have been others) were taken (en auto) by Arthur Watthey to the funeral in Morton C of E Church. I recall his sensitive manner before the service and his “hereon” attitude afterwards.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana