KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coach Hire

No doubt ex- K.B.G.S.pupils will remember the various `Co`s involved in showing K.B.G.S.to the world. I remember Bronte buses on Rly and Geog.Field Trips plus Shuttleworths of kildwick re-a Ben Tren trip.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

Re: Coach Hire

Anderton's?

During my last few years at the school, Andertons provided one of their coaches to supplement a regular West Yorkshire service from Bradford. It left Chester Street bus station daily just before 8.30am I think.

Those of us privileged enough to possess one of Joe Watthey's "late passes" could therefore ride in comparative comfort on the coach, which ran in parallel with the No.67 double decker.

The arrangement must have provided extra income for Andertons, particularly out of summer season, but it's strange that West Yorkshire didn't have a spare single decker of its own available for the job.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 65

Current location (optional) Dudley, West Midlands

At some stage on the trip, a KBGS school team would regale the Bronte 'Bus driver with a rendition of

"Oh you'll never go to heaven on a Bronte 'Bus
For a Bronte 'Bus you'll have to push .... etc etc"

I remember one return trip from yet another victory over Blackpool GS singing with increasing urgency "Does the driver want to wee wee" etc

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Certainly I remember the Bronte ones that the late Tony 'Percy' Peart used for railway societytrips. One broke down failing to get us up Cock Hill. Fortunately they were able to send another from nearby Haworth

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Percy's favourite was Bronte's 'Bull-nose Bedford', a similar one of which can be seen if you follow this link:

http://www.worthingbusrally.co.uk/slides/bedford-ob_eaj679.htm

After Bronte had sold it, on one Railway Society trip to North Wales, Percy had arranged to see it at its new location and diverted the 'new' Bronte coach so that he/we could see it again.

Great times, long lost but never forgotten!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

This site tells the story of Bronte buses with some great photos of classic coaches:
http://www.brontebus.co.uk/index.htm

A.Snaith ,a good friend of mine is responsible for the Bronte Bus site .His father drove for and co-owned this company.Currently he runs Rosebud Guest House in Haworth with his partner Caroline.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) Haworth

I wonder if anyone can remember singing the following whilst on a Bronte bus, sung to the tune of:

AIN'T GONNA GRIEVE MY LORD NO MORE

Oh, you'll never get to Heaven,
You'll never get to Heaven,
On a Bronte bus,
On a Bronte bus,
Cos a Bronte bus,
Cos a Bronte bus,
You'll have to push,
You'll have to push,
Oh, you'll never get to Heaven on a Bronte bus cos a Bronte bus you'll have to push, I ain't a-gonna grieve my Lord no more.
Ain't a-gonna grieve my Lord no more etc.

Great site though Alan, thanks for mentioning it. Brings back many happy memories of when I used to work at Haworth and Oxenhope as there are many familiar faces in the photographs of 'Trips'.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea