KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Playground Fist Fights

Did anyone get into one of those ? Lads used to form a circle round the protagonists and chant Fight ! Fight ! Fight ! until a couple of Masters/Prefects broke it up. Some were marched to see Watthey.
I dont think I got into any at KBGS, though I remember two at Ingrow Juniors (vs Alan Spencer, and Kenny Andrews), also one at Sunday School when I bust Keith Varleys nose for calling me a 'bloody bugger' (about the worst words we knew at that time !)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: Playground Fist Fights

In my day, school yard pugilists were swept up by Prefects, down the steep steps, through the tunnel and on to the bottom corridor where they were incarcerated in the Prefects' Room and thrashed within an inch of their lives - unless they were in Longsdon.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Think I may have shared this already, but when I was at Guardhouse Primary I was playing playground cricket with Alan Britten, Paul Helliwell and Robert Gallagher. I was behind the imaginary stumps. Paul hit the ball to imaginary mid-off, where it was fielded by the non participating Kenny Adcock, eponymous and much feared 'cock o't'school'. He spitefully chucked our tennis ball onto the school's flat roof. I was overcome with the injustice of it all and trundled in his direction, throwing my not inconsiderable weight behind a punch to his jaw, whist simultaneously (and accidentally) stepping on his left foot. As he recoiled he fell backwards, bashing his head off the tarmac playground. Thus I became, for a few months, cock o' Guardhouse School. Many years later I encountered Kenny on the top deck of the number 4 Guardhouse bus. I was in my stripey blazer, and he was in an army uniform. Pleasantries were exchanged. That week in the T&A or Keighley News appeared a photo of Kenny with the headline 'Keighley Man wins Army Boxing Award'.

I certainly got into a number of such encounters, at just about every school I attended (and up until the 6th form!) Even though I didn't win them all by any means, I feel far too much fuss is made these days of a simple scrap between 2 reasonably matched individuals, leading to threats of suspension and other extreme reactions. The term "bullying" is also widely misused in this context.

It must have been gratifying for you, Allan, to learn how effective was your training of the (albeit temporarily) deposed cock-o't'school!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 65

Current location (optional) Dudley, West Midlands