KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Youth Clubs

As I recall Lund Park YC was held on Saturday evenings (music, table tennis, badminton etc.), but there was also another group on Sunday evenings. Can't recall what it was called or how it differed from the Saturday youth club. No doubt John Ackroyd or Brian Moate can set me straight.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

It was Youth Fellowship, after evening service

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Youth Fellowship usually had an invited speaker, or a member showed holiday slides. Ian Dewhirst came a few times

I ran the Y F.in the late 60`s . We had printed cards for events.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

I was YF secretary for a couple of years and had to get the speakers, that would be 1964/5 as I left for Uni then, you probably took over from me John.

Cubs and Scouts served chiefly as youth clubs for me until one day in the school yard, Howard Thompson (6A1 ) approached me (3A) with the challenge, “Do you play the drums?” He knew the answer before he asked.

I was invited to rehearse with a few instrumentalists who were getting together in the Ilkley Road Methodist Sunday School (right by the Willow Tree!”).

Howard (KBGS) played trumpet; Bill Emmott (KBGS) clarinet; David Scott (KBGS) Alto Sax; Geoff Craven (BGS) banjuke; Margaret Nunweek (KGGS) piano. Also hovering in attendance was Malcolm Laycock (BGS) with a mass of jazz and big band knowledge (later to succeed Alan Dell on BBC radio).

The line-up was best suited to a Trad or Dixieland repertoire so we hammered our way through Alabama Jubilee; Muskrat Ramble – anything with a 2/4 upbeat tempo – not forgetting "The Saints" - and including The Bells of St Mary’s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! “What a friend we have in Jesus” also responded well to the treatment.

It became clear to me from their conversation that these new found friends attended the Young Peoples Sunday School and YPF at Ilkley Road – so, not to be side-lined, so did I.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

What about my big favourite Terry? Woody Herman's Golden Wedding. For an aspiring drummer that should be top of the list. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, New Zealand

Frank Jagger's brother was Peter. He was in the 6th form when I started at KBGS in 1945 and he features four from the left on the teachers row on the 1946 panoramic photograph. He must have been in the same form as Tom Punt and the late Paul Greenwood, F K Whalley and Brian Dale.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk