KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tour de France.

Me too folks, it was magic. A couple of late nights and early mornings. Re the ad break Dennis, which left me fuming!!!!!!! I have just heard on my football site this morning, that some idiot painted a crude word in a prominent place on the road in Keighley and they made a last minute decision to cut to a break and avoid upsetting viewers. Also in cutting back and forwards from the leading bunch to the paleton, I missed them going down Syke, Mill Hey and up Bridgehouse. It seemed to go from Lees past the school to Main Street and the Fleece. Real nostalgic stuff for us expats and compulsive viewing. Soon after the telecast finished, my telephone went and there was a Yorkshire voice on the other end. It was the grandson of an old family friend in Cross Roads out here on a working holiday and he is coming to visit next weekend. Great stuff. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, New Zealand

Agreed, compulsive viewing.
I was also fuming regarding the ad break, I was thrilled to see The King's Head, one of my regular watering holes and was looking forward to seeing the St John's Churchyard just a minute further up Halifax Road. My cousin has lived there for years and it would have been very clear. What was my old Cub hall is now his lounge room.
Do you think the official dvd, when it's released,would contain that footage?

I was wondering when the tour would surface on this site. brilliant to see the Dales on a glorious day . Pity about missing Keighley after seeing Ilkley and Otley in good detail and after the commentators had said how well prepared Keighley was for the run through the town . Bit of a squeeze through Haworth but for all those on the streets it is over in a flash ,amazing that so many went to so much trouble for only a few minutes .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

There are several clips of 'Le Tour de Yorkshire' passing through Keighley on You Tube.

One clip has been taken from outside the Library looking diagonally across North Street towards the replacement building, constructed after the fire.

It looks as though the building is for sale.

Will this be the 'end of the line' for the remaining part of our School?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

I've heard that the ad break was forced because some hoon had written the 'f' word in very large yellow letters somewhere prominent.
What pleasure some idiot derives from this is beyond me, and if it's true why did it have to happen in Keighley?
Obviously, this could have happened in various places along he route but....who knows?

Apparently the TV footage of the race going through Keighley was broadcast in several European countries. I got the link below courtesy of the 'Keighley News' (online version). A sharp-eyed local guy found this Dutch (?) footage on 'Youtube'. I think we can probably forgive the commentator for finding the pronunciation of the town's name ('Keeley') difficult to fathom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13PrJlx8tKw

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1962-1969

Current location (optional) Nottingham

It still doesn't show St John's Churchyard!!

Thanks, Dave. If interested parties follow the link, Youtube very kindly offers more Keighley/Ingrow/Haworth clips uploaded from several sources.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana