KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Youth Clubs

Which youth clubs did you go to? From ages 15 to 17 I went to the Congs and St Mark's. St Marks was perilously close to the Roebuck pub, whither we graduated fairly quickly. At St Marks I finally learned how to tune a guitar (George Speller's, which he'd left lying whilst he nipped out for a fag). George was an accomplished guitarist who could play a fingerpicked version of Sweet Georgia Brown. Impressive at the time. I and some pals also paid one visit to a youth club in Haworth. Can't remember the name of it, but whilst we were there the news came through that JFK had been shot. Devastating and unbelievable news which plunged everyone into shock.

Re: Youth Clubs

Went to the youth club at Lund Park which was housed in a church hall, a building previously used as an annex by Ingrow Junior School when the baby boom filtered through.
Learned to "play" badminton there before learning properly from Joe Jagger, a badminton coach and father of Mick. The court at Lund Park finished two inches from the wall at one end and two inches from the stage at the other. This resulted in the development of very unorthodox smashes which took some time to iron out at a later stage. My backhand smash never quite recovered.
A number of contributors to this site also attended this club and made the transition to the King's Head.
In my memory the club was run by Tim Bastow and Phil Nolan who were, I think, both ex-KBGS. Phil now lives in the Lake District and I had brief contact with him a couple of years ago. His younger brother, Graham, was in the same year as me at KBGS and was a close friend. We are in regular, though infrequent, contact.
A particular attraction at he youth club was the fact that girls attended too - we were in the real world instead of the bizarre world of an all-boys school.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Were these the Nolans who had the newsagents near the top Of lawkholme Lane in Cav?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

I was a Leader at L.P.I instigated the cellar after I suppose the Cavern.Brian Shuttleworth followed me when I gave up. Heavily castigated by a Chapel Elder for running "a den of iniquity"!I think on the entrance to the cellar we had a sign which said,"" All ye who enter here are doomed"

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

Happy days at Lund Park John. Jagger was Frank Jagger though, tragically killed when the mast of his yacht hit a power line. Remember the room known as the Coffin Room upstairs ? I continued to play badminton right through Uni, making the 'second team', and still played until a few years ago. Knees wont stand it now ! Was about the only sport I was much good at. Being th Church organist I had a key to the church building and used to pop out into the church during YC to put the hymn number boards up for next morning, often accompanied by a current girlfriend. Took a while to put the hymn boards up !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Brian,wrong it was his brother .Frank died of a heart attack according to my mother who is a correspondent for all things Kly over last 100 years!

The same Nolan's, Terry.
Wasn't the shop on Lawkholme Crescent?
I think the shop at the top of Lawkholme Lane, on Cavendish Street was Milburn's.

That's right, Shaun - it was Milburn's at the top of Cavendish St. The shop was carried on by Milburn the Younger (who was in our year at KBGS) when the elder Milburn retired.

I bow to your mothers knowlege John. I dont remember Joe though I do remember Frank. But I feel sure I havent invented the story about the yacht mast, was deffo someone connected with Lund Park.
The Milburns were distant relatives. Remember they use to sell 'Spick and Span' magazines, they used to get passed round by teenage boys !

Frank`s brother did indeed die as a result of his yacht touching an overhead wire at Foulridge Sailing club.Colne So you have n`t lost all your marbles yet but when I see photo`s of benches on my FB wall situated all over the Wirral your retirement tells me all sorts!What about a post on K.B.G.S.about favourite benches?

I think that it must be the same Frank Jagger who was the envy of all us younger kids when he was a prefect and came to school on his motor bike which he parked in Lord Street. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, New Zealand

Whether it was Frank or not, the Jaggers lived next to my family in Lawnswood Road and one of them definitely died due to the aforementioned boating accident.

Hi Trevor, I spotted who you are as my grandparents also lived a couple of doors from you !

Is that the F.Jagger who autographed the back of the under 14 team photo in 1945 in the Rugby Section of the photos

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

The Under 14 pic doesnt' look much like I knew him 10-15yrs later, but the 1949 XV pic also has him, and thats nearer what I remember.

I'm pleased that my earlier post led to some discussions regarding a family of Jaggers who lived locally. The "Joe" I referred to in my post was, however, a southerner who never, to my knowledge, visited Keighley, so I can't contribute to the ongoing discussion that I seem to have prompted.

As I recall Lund Park YC was held on Saturday evenings (music, table tennis, badminton etc.), but there was also another group on Sunday evenings. Can't recall what it was called or how it differed from the Saturday youth club. No doubt John Ackroyd or Brian Moate can set me straight.

It was Youth Fellowship, after evening service

Youth Fellowship usually had an invited speaker, or a member showed holiday slides. Ian Dewhirst came a few times

I ran the Y F.in the late 60`s . We had printed cards for events.

I was YF secretary for a couple of years and had to get the speakers, that would be 1964/5 as I left for Uni then, you probably took over from me John.

Cubs and Scouts served chiefly as youth clubs for me until one day in the school yard, Howard Thompson (6A1 ) approached me (3A) with the challenge, “Do you play the drums?” He knew the answer before he asked.

I was invited to rehearse with a few instrumentalists who were getting together in the Ilkley Road Methodist Sunday School (right by the Willow Tree!”).

Howard (KBGS) played trumpet; Bill Emmott (KBGS) clarinet; David Scott (KBGS) Alto Sax; Geoff Craven (BGS) banjuke; Margaret Nunweek (KGGS) piano. Also hovering in attendance was Malcolm Laycock (BGS) with a mass of jazz and big band knowledge (later to succeed Alan Dell on BBC radio).

The line-up was best suited to a Trad or Dixieland repertoire so we hammered our way through Alabama Jubilee; Muskrat Ramble – anything with a 2/4 upbeat tempo – not forgetting "The Saints" - and including The Bells of St Mary’s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! “What a friend we have in Jesus” also responded well to the treatment.

It became clear to me from their conversation that these new found friends attended the Young Peoples Sunday School and YPF at Ilkley Road – so, not to be side-lined, so did I.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

What about my big favourite Terry? Woody Herman's Golden Wedding. For an aspiring drummer that should be top of the list. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, New Zealand

Frank Jagger's brother was Peter. He was in the 6th form when I started at KBGS in 1945 and he features four from the left on the teachers row on the 1946 panoramic photograph. He must have been in the same form as Tom Punt and the late Paul Greenwood, F K Whalley and Brian Dale.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk