KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Celebrity

Joseph Locke (McLaughlin) used to stay at our house when appearing at Bradford Alhambra.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60.

My wife used to live next door to Derrick Branche from My Beautiful Laundrette, Jewel in the Crown, etc. he lives in Goa now and we frequently stay with him when in India

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains via Haworth

I was in the same class at school as Brian Moate, Brian Shuttleworth, Brian Goodall, Brian Exley and Brian Craven. My favourite film is?

Not "The Life of Brian", surely?

But none of us has celebrity status ! I suppose Rev Brian Goodall who has just retired from Baptist ministry in Dewsbury , was well known in his town.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Speak for yourself!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 65

Current location (optional) Dudley, West Midlands

Who?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

Now ! Now !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Just remembered about 5 years ago I shared a taxi from Crewe to Liverpool with Shelagh Fogerty (from Radio 5 Live ). Problem on line and Shelagh quickly asked four of us if we would share a taxi (£80) , rather than wait an hour whilst they got replacement buses together.

LOL. Its in the paper today Shelagh is leaving Five Live (or has got the sack!)

"Just remembered" - chatted up Hattie Jacques and Benny Lee - guests at a Rag Dance in 1962. Grilled Hattie about Eric and had my accent taken into analysis by Benny who declared he too was a northerner - from Leeds. With the crassness of youth, I ventured - "you mean the Holy City?". He laughed it off, happily.

Later they were introduced from the platform - the Rag Sec. naming Benny Lee as Benny Hill. He was corrected by Benny who pointed out that Hill was the one who made the money.

I liked Benny Lee who was one of the witty bunch who appeared in Bernard Braden's radio shows (Breakfast with Braden, Bedtime with Braden ) and later on TV. They included Braden's wife, Barbara Kelly,Pearl Carr and Nat Temple.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana