KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Celebrity

My eighty years on this planet have been pretty uneventful. However I can claim to have had my fifteen minutes of fame (it was Andy Warhol who said we are all entitled to have that sometime during our life wasn't it?). After I lost my wife, I offered my help to the McMillan Nurses and once a week I spent a couple of hours in the local hospital with Cancer patients acting as an Art Therapist. We would spend the time producing a watercolour painting. The results were varied. Some were good, some less so, but despite everything, we always seemed to have plenty of laughs. One week, the Sister in charge of the unit, asked me if I could do an extra session on the day when a recent extension to the facility was due to be formally opened by a VIP who was known to have an interest in painting - Prince Charles. I jumped at the chance. The big day arrived. The table was set up, the patients were working on their pictures, but sadly, there was an empty chair. One of the regular patient painters was too ill to attend that day. (Well, actually there were two empty chairs. We had purposely left one chair empty for HRH just in case he wanted to sit down and dabble). Those in charge were keen to see that apart from the chair set aside for HRH, there were no vacancies, so they sought out a replacement - a lady from the adjacent physiotherapy section - and plonked her down in front of a half finished painting, stuck a paint brush in her hand and very shortly afterwards in walks Prince Charles. He sat down in the vacant chair next to the recent recruit, looks at her picture, and enquires as to how long she has been painting. "About five minutes" she said. Laughter from all. Press cameras click and the VIP visit goes extremely well. That morning, I had the opportunity to talk with Prince Charles for several minutes on various art related issues. A very satisfying morning for me made all the more special because he took away with him as a momento of his visit, a genuine Pickles watercolour.
Here endeth the tale of my brief encounter with royalty.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

So many I don't know where to start! haha! Start with with Sir Len at Oxenhope CC when he presented the prizes and the club was kind enough to invite the juniors of other local clubs along for the occasion. Shook hands and got his autograph which is still tucked away. Rolf Harris in my early days in Australia. Cliff Richards also in OZ. Had a chat with him for about 15 minutes. That was 61 I think. Had a few friendly words with BB King while standing alongside him in the gents at Auckland airport. On another occasion, collected my bag from the carousel at Wellington airport at the same time as a big guy claimed his alongside me. As we emerged almost together a chap I knew was meeting this big chap, he greeted me and then introduced me to his friend. We walked out to the car park chatting together and said Cheers. That night we were watching the news and all of a sudden this big guy appeared and was interviewed. My teenage kids, at that time, were horrified when I said that I had met him, talked with him and didn't recognise him. It was Lew Farigno, the Incredible Hulk, down here on a promo visit. Well he wasn't wearing his green face was he? Have a good story about Sir Hardy Amies but too long for here.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, New Zealand

Spike Milligan used to spend a lot of time in Australia, his parents and brother, Des, lived here. One Australia Day I was having a drink in a pub in the Rocks (Australia's white birthplace) when I saw Spike, I went up to him and asked him for his autograph, he said that he would give it to me if I would give him mine, so I asked him to whom I should make it out, he thought that funny enough to keep us both in beer for the rest of the day. One of the best and funniest days of my life

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains via Haworth

Joseph Locke (McLaughlin) used to stay at our house when appearing at Bradford Alhambra.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60.

My wife used to live next door to Derrick Branche from My Beautiful Laundrette, Jewel in the Crown, etc. he lives in Goa now and we frequently stay with him when in India

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains via Haworth

I was in the same class at school as Brian Moate, Brian Shuttleworth, Brian Goodall, Brian Exley and Brian Craven. My favourite film is?

Not "The Life of Brian", surely?

But none of us has celebrity status ! I suppose Rev Brian Goodall who has just retired from Baptist ministry in Dewsbury , was well known in his town.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Speak for yourself!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 65

Current location (optional) Dudley, West Midlands

Who?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

Now ! Now !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Just remembered about 5 years ago I shared a taxi from Crewe to Liverpool with Shelagh Fogerty (from Radio 5 Live ). Problem on line and Shelagh quickly asked four of us if we would share a taxi (£80) , rather than wait an hour whilst they got replacement buses together.

LOL. Its in the paper today Shelagh is leaving Five Live (or has got the sack!)

"Just remembered" - chatted up Hattie Jacques and Benny Lee - guests at a Rag Dance in 1962. Grilled Hattie about Eric and had my accent taken into analysis by Benny who declared he too was a northerner - from Leeds. With the crassness of youth, I ventured - "you mean the Holy City?". He laughed it off, happily.

Later they were introduced from the platform - the Rag Sec. naming Benny Lee as Benny Hill. He was corrected by Benny who pointed out that Hill was the one who made the money.

I liked Benny Lee who was one of the witty bunch who appeared in Bernard Braden's radio shows (Breakfast with Braden, Bedtime with Braden ) and later on TV. They included Braden's wife, Barbara Kelly,Pearl Carr and Nat Temple.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana