KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: KBGS expects every man....................................... ?

I think, Terry, you are wrong about KGGS having higher aspirations for its pupils. Very much in line with the times, most girls who stayed on in the sixth form were destined for teacher-training college, and teaching, until Mr Right came along. During my own sixth-form career I knew of only three girls from KGGS who went on to university and the possibility of some other career. I never knew of any girl going on to Oxbridge - other than my wife, but she went only as a mature student, long after leaving KGGS after 'O-levels'. Our own sixth was very much geared to sending boys to university and there was hardly ever a year when two or three boys didn't go to either Oxford or Cambridge. For its size, its small-town location, and its comparative lack of modern, on-site facilities, KBGS under Neville Hind's guidance had exceedingly high aspirations. I am not able to say whether it continued in the same vein under Hind's successor, or indeed whether KGGS policy changed in the sixties with regard to chasing university rather than TTC places.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

Re: KBGS expects every man....................................... ?

A stout defence,Doug, with a few good attacking shots.

If I marked my postings with a coding, this would definitely have been a TIC.

Aimed at shaking off increscent torpor, hopefully this critique of the old school has pruned the blooming moribundia and headed off rigor mortis.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana