KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Capped

The picture that came up this morning on the homepage was of the 1958 1st IV. Several of the players are pictured sporting caps. Now, I remember the term 'being capped' from when I was at school, but caps were definitely not worn on the 1964/65 photo. So, how did you qualify for a cap, and under what circumstances were these caps worn? I imagine they weren't worn at the youth club. Terry?

Re: Capped

Being 'reight capped' also meant being surprised !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Notice that I`m that very few men wear caps today. I always wear a cap when out and about. No, it`s not an old man`s badge -just a sign in my case of tradition!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

The term was "Colours" not "capped" in the '50s, Allan. Can't account for what followed. Second team Colours were awarded to 2nd XI/XV team players who impressed the team "coach" through regular selection and dedication to the team.

Although Half-colours and Full colours similarly were awarded to 1st XI/XV players, a cap was presented for Full Colours at the following Speech Day (Nov/Dec)which meant that some lads had left before their cap was presented and weren't able to sport it on the next team photo. However, there were colours and half colours ties they could wear and a badge could be sewn to the school blazer pocket.

The term "capped", a real honour, was reserved for those who gave exceptional service at Headingley and Park Avenue.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Thanks, Terry - that brings it all back. The term, indeed, was 'colours'. When I played, I think the caps and ties had gone, but you still got the '1st IV' badge to sew on the top of your blazer pocket. Do you know the origin of the term 'colours'? The only colours I got were the green and white of my badge!

As one of the "first IV", you must surely have qualified for a greater distinction Allan!... Ah'd be capped mesen if tha' wasn't.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 65

Current location (optional) Dudley, West Midlands

Ah were onny in it fer 't bulk in 't scrum, Brian.

I nicked this from Wikimedia, Allan. Hope it answers your question. All sounds a bit snobby to me……………..

Sporting colours, more often known merely as colours or house-colours, are awarded to members of a university or school who have excelled in a sport. Colours are traditionally worn in or on scarves, ties, blazers, gowns, cuff-links, and other items of apparel. The award system gives rise to phrases such as an Oxford Blue, meaning a person who was awarded a Blue by the University of Oxford.

In some award schemes, it is possible to receive a half colour, such as a Half-Blue. Typically, a given institution will award a single colour; for example, Cambridge and Oxford awards are different shades of blue, and the University of London awards a Purple.

(I played my best rugby at Borough Road College (1960-64) whose strip was “Chocolate and White”. Our bête noire was St Mary’s College (Twickenham.) When we were in the ascendancy, our skipper, a public schoolboy international, didn’t post a team sheet for this blood match but wrote a letter to each selected player inviting them to take part and therewith “win their Brown.” )

American universities tend to award a varsity letter rather than a colour. The system is common in the majority of British independent schools and old schools of Australia and Sri Lanka. (AND therefore probably unsuitable for a West Riding GS )

Often blazers are given to denote pupils who have achieved in a sport. The blazers are often distinct from the standard school blazer though often colours simply take the form of embellished arms or braided cord or ribbon edging on the standard blazer. Ties are also used as a common way of displaying representative colours.

You learn something new ………………………….

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Snobby indeed! Still, good that KBGS couldn't be out-snobbed by Oxbridge!