KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Memories

Todays random photo got me going and I called my wife in to have a look at the photo on screen of the big snow in 1947. This was the year I sat the County Minor Scholarship at Highfield. I was living at Parkwood and dad was yet to be demobbed. I was 10 years old and the man of the house. I had to first help my mother to dig my way out of the house where the snow had drifted up the door. Then struggle down the Donkey Hill and up Low Mill lane and across town and up to Highfield where the exams were conducted. What a time. The hillside village school kids were not able to make it and those students were assessed. We just didn't think anything of it and got on with life. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Memories

I was born in March 1947. I've felt the cold ever since.

I was March '47 as well Allan (13th in my case)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Then you're older and wiser than me, Brian. I waited till the 16th, when I thought it'd be a bit warmer!

Must have been conceived in the big snow!One way of keeping warm in the early months of `47.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

I was born on the 10th, seemed to be able to handle cold very well until I returned to UK January 2009 for my daughter's birthday, the day after it snowed and stopped the country. I never stopped shivering the whole time I was there