KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: School Dinners

You know, I quite liked school dinners. The fried fish on Fridays was always welcome and the cheese and onion pie I always enjoyed. One thing I could have done without when I was a first former ( or perhaps I was in the second form - in any case I was seated towards the bottom of the table) was the sabotage of my rice pudding as it was passed down from the top end. A certain J J Feather always seemed to sprinkle salt on my dish. Not very nice! A few years ago I reminded him of his not very friendly behaviour - not something expected of a future Vicar. He apologised and I have forgiven him. Yes, at 2/1d for five meals, we certainly got value for money. Thinking about it, maybe the reason I liked the lunch time offering was because the war had only just ended and we had very little variety in our diet. Meat was still on ration until well into the 50's - wasn't it? I have only vague recollections of the kitchen - a small room to the side of the stage in the Municipal Hall wasn't it? Surely meals for 300 kids and a score of teachers couldn't have been prepared and cooked in that room? Were the meals cooked elsewhere and brought in?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Allan Jones
I should definitely have given it a try, Terry. I did flirt with school dinners (also sic) when at Guardhouse Primary. The meals there were similar, but the price a mere 1/9d per week. The mixing of the class years at the KBGS tables sounds like a good idea, even if the older lads seem to have enjoyed bigger portions and less work. Now for that playground chant. I'll start, who'll finish:
"Snot'n'bubble pasty, green phlegm pie........."

All mixed up with a dead cat's eye
Slugs and snails, laid on thick
All washed down with a cup of cold sick!

Crikey, I thought I had forgotten about that one.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, New Zealand

Well done Bill. You win a sago pudding.

Many thanks Allan. Cooked by yourself of course! Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, New Zealand

... not forgetting the salt from JJW-F...

Doug