KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My Life at the Opera.

My Life at the Opera. An Autobiography by Peter Murray Scott. Pt I 1925 - 1955.
I came across this on the internet. I'd found an interesting reference when I googled 'Hildred Harpin'. The reference referred to 'a fortuitous combination of Adolf Hitler and Hildred Harpin'. I thought that it was worth a look and am I glad I did. I must admit to having a bit of a shock when the page opened up. The English text was surrounded by Russian script and slightly naughty pictures, but don't be put off and concentrate on the autobiography. Peter Scott was evacuated from Bradford in 1940 and spent two years at Keighley Boys' Grammar School. If you are interested to know more, look it up. There is a great deal about Hildred Harpin and the group of lads who used to meet at Swartha - Peter Scott and his pal Joseph Bradwell were regular attendees ; there's mention of the school, of the Theatre and much, much more. Have a look and see what you think but be warned, there's a lot to keep you occupied.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Re: My Life at the Opera.

Denis

Only the other day I was trying to remember the surname of the girl from Bradford who came to live with us when she was evacuated with her two brothers to our part of Keighley in WW2. I now know - she was Jean Scott and one of her brothers, who came to live across the road with the Hills was Peter. I think they stayed on in Keighley long after most of the evacuees from Bradford had returned home. I was a couple of years younger than Peter which probably accounts for the fact that I don't recall him being at KBGS.

As my late wife's stepfather was a Bradwell, I have met up with Joseph and his wife, Ruth at his family events (a visit by a cousin from America, and an occasional funeral). They now live in Leominster.

As you say, Peter's writings are very interesting. I have only read a taster as yet, but in due course I will read more.

I hope to see you again sometime soon.

David

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1937-44

Current location (optional) Huntingdon

Well, well! Do you know David, I was wondering who, from among those contributing to this web site, might remember Peter Scott. Your name and that of Tom Punt, and Mike Nicholls in New Zealand were names that crossed my mind. And Bingo! You come up trumps. Terry Marston called in here for a cup of tea the other day en route to Essex. He could remember Joseph Bradwell as someone with similar musical interest, but not Peter Scott. I'm sure that you'll enjoy reading the rest of this fascinating biography. What detail! I have tried (so far without success) to contact Peter in Australia, but he'll be knocking on 90 and I'll forgive him for being a bit slow.

Denis

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Having read, so far, only the website print-outs that Denis "gave" me, the accounts of Peter Scott are a remarkable historical source of the activities of the social group he belonged to. His early recollections (full of close and accurate detail and recall) of his life in pre-war Bradford give a meaningful insight into the experiences of young kids in West Riding towns of that period. If you were born in Keighley anytime up to 1960 (?), you have to read Scott's early pages. You'll be reight capped!!

Keeping to Scott's early accounts of his (and his mates') juvenile doings in Bradford, and as I read each line, my experiences as a scruff-end kid in Keighley (Lawkholme, don't you know?) were brought to life again. Each fresh detail of his young days in Bradford was a mirror of mine in the Eastwood district of Keighley, albeit they were separated by half a generation.

From what I have learned from Denis, this source will lighten many corners. I encourage you to dig in and if you find or recall anything to illuminate the original - PLEASE share it with the dwindling few.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Thanks Denis for putting this on the site for our enjoyment . His description of his "Gang" life brought back so many memories . I wonder how much of that can be attributed to Richmal Crompton and her William books . I must have read the lot and regularly scoured Keighley Library for the latest one . I am on page 30 but I can see that I will have to print off the entire book and get my sons to read it [and grand-sons] to give them an insight into my early days

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Mike, David ,Terry et al,

You will be as delighted as I was to know that Peter Scott is alive and well living in Australia. I had a reply to an email I sent to him yesterday. He confirms that Joseph Bradwell is still with us, living, as you said David, in Leominster. Peter tells me that he was in England on what will probably be the last of his annual visits to the mother country, last September. If we'd known we could have welcomed him to the reunion dinner! He visited Swartha so he wasn't too far away.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 -50