KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The natural order of things...

>>ps when I am back in Yorkshire I am rarely taken for a local (good or bad?) haha!

I was walking by the Great Ouse near Huntingdon last summer and talking to a few people who were fishing or walking. They seemed quite sceptical that I was English, despite my having been born and raised within 30 miles of there. The fishing bailiff who checked my permit when I was later fishing, seemed to think I was there to eat the fish.

The past is a foreign country. Perhaps someone who returns after a gap of 25+ years appears like a stranger to those in the "now".

It's about time that only players who were actually born in England were selected. That goes for the coaching staff also, as far as I am concerned.

Like him or not, and I DO, Geoff Boycott speaks, and always has, A LOT OF SENSE!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 1966

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Se

It's about time that only players who were actually born in England were selected. That goes for the coaching staff also, as far as I am concerned.

Like him or not, and I DO, Geoff Boycott speaks, and always has, A LOT OF SENSE!

If Yorkshire players are as good as Brian suggests then they should be selected but as long as we have so many South Africans , and Piertersen in particular, in OUR team then we'll never do anything.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 1966

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Se

I learned decades ago, when I knew a Tazzie, that my best strategy when the subject of cricket was raised was the first line of the old Yorkshire saying - "Hear all, see all, say nowt."
Best to stick to that now.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

So, really, Shaun. back to the silence from which this thread started. RIP - both cricket and the thread.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Mid-Lancashire/ East Yorkshire

Not quite Doug!
I can't resist adding my two penn'orth to Dave's comments about Boycott's common sense observations. I'm just a bit disappointed that it's taken Geoff so long to realise, or perhaps bring himself to dare remark (unlikely given his predilection for "telling it how it is"), about Pietersen - something that's been manifestly evident to me, at least, for ages!

Current location (optional) Dudley, West Midlands

Yes, Brian, I couldn't agree more! Did you see Ricky Pontin's comments about the England side - quite restrained for him - but he certainly singled out Pieterson as found wanting. But more appropriately, I thought, he did suggest that these things go in cycles and Australia are at the beginning of an upswing in their fortunes again, and England, after a brief period of supremacy, are tottering - I can't see me getting to Australia again for three or four years... wouldn't dare!

Current location (optional) Cottingham, E. Yorkshire

I don't recall Boycott ever playing for England. Boycott played for Boycott.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Boycott's column in daily Telegraph today begins with this sentence. I mean, talk about stating the obvious.

'The reason England are in a mess is that they have batsmen who cannot score runs and bowlers who cannot take wickets' !

Very deep thinking Geoff !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Whoever he played for, Alec, at least he delivered out on the pitch when things weren't always rosy, which is more than can be said for certain of our current "team-men".

And, if this is just the beginning of an Aussie "upswing", Doug, God help us next series!

True, Brian, one could almost guarantee a draw when Boycott played.

And wouldn't that be an "upswing" in England's current predicament?

And if we drew the next two games we'd still lose.

By the natural order, do you mean an even balance?; for according to Wikipedia Australia have won 32 series to England's 31 (this series inc).

But to make sure I don't let this slight imbalance disturb me, I get out and play my 3 disc DVD set "The Ashes - The greatest series" (ie 2005) And that puts a different perspective on the stats - mysticism? No - mastery!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

LOL Terry, I think they will play Ballance in last test, but probably Bresnan will not play as they will give Boyd Rankin a go.

Thanks, Brian. The job's yours.

See what I mean, Doug?

We will know in about 4hrs what the team is, I suppose there's a chance we might get 4 Yorkshire players, but 3 is more likely.

Oops, got that wrong, they kept Carberry and dropped Root. Carberry promptly got a duck !

Root hasn't an impressive record against Australia. Take out his top score and his average is around 20. Not good enough for a "top order batsman".

Alec that's true, but hes done better than Carberry. His off spin may be useful too.

......and just noticed Root took two catches fielding as a 'sub' !

All Fall Down !!!!!

I couldn't believe it when I watched the England captain "shoulder arms" to a straight one. How embarrassing! Maybe it is a sign of the times and getting on a bit but some of the English team look like they should be playing school cricket. Like policemen and soldiers, they look so young today! Haha. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Ah well its all over now ! Thank Goodness.

Time I came back, since I stirred up this particular can of worms (I choose my words carefully, Terry!). 'Balance' wasn't what/who I had in mind, although I must confess I had believed the Aussies to have won rather more and England rather fewer series than Terry assures us is the case. What I mean by 'the natural order of things' is simply the cyclic nature of the fortunes of both sides, indeed of all international cricketing or other team-sport sides, caused by 'ageing', injury or just becoming clapped-out, the old 'what goes around comes around'. I have the impression that for cricket teams the cycles are getting shorter, players not lasting as long as they used to, perhaps because they are playing far more test matches and one-day series than was the case in 'my day'. The pressures, especially from the media, must be enormous and some individuals weather them better than others. Press criticism has regularly become abusive and any player willing to shoot his mouth off in as vile a manner as he can (the latest being the Aussie Watson re-Trott) gets a hearing because that sells copy. And maybe the bottom line is that too much money is at stake and the players suffer in proportion to how much. But, if winning is all that matters then cheer up everybody, there's always tomorrow...

Soon, Terry, you'll be able to get the DVD of the worst series ever, to set beside your 2005 one... for me (and I was certainly partisan then) the greatest series had to be 1956 (if I have the date right), the 'Laker' series. What I didn't realise then, of course, was that the Aussies I saw beaten then were not the Aussies who had wiped the floor with England in the Bradman and post-Bradman years, even though several of the players bore the same names. Of course, as Bill reminded us, the Laker series must have been a follow-on from the Tyson series and England were in an upward phase, the Aussies in a downward one... I'm afraid I have long felt emotionally detached from the triumphalism occasioned by the win of the moment, partly because aware that tomorrow will show us something different, partly because 'sport' is a good deal less 'sporting' than it ought to be (they're only 'games' after all!) - once huge amounts of cash came on the scene sport was doomed - like the NHS, Higher Education, Public Transport... Maybe it's that detachment that allows me to play the Devil's advocate... but it does also carry with it a sense of something lost.

I couldn't agree more about sport being "doomed" or changed forever once they started throwing the big money at it. You may have read over the last couple of weeks about a young Kiwi batsman, Corey Anderson, setting a new ODI record for a century in 36 balls against the West Indies, who are but a shadow of the team I watched in 1960-61 in a world record crowd at the MCG, the old ODI record standing since 1996. Corey is/was a promising young player until this happened. Now there are reports from India that they are very interested in him and are talking about million dollar contracts. Who wouldn't be interested? Cheers.

Oh dear, this just arrived in my inbox from an Aussie friend. Cheers.

Subject: FW: It didn't take long and it was predictable

From my English Partner – he decided to get in first!

Q. What do you get if you cross the English cricket team with an OXO cube?

A. A laughing stock.

Q What is the height of optimism?
A: English batsman putting on sunscreen.

Q. What is the difference between an English batsman and a Formula 1 car at high speed?
A. Nothing! If you blink you will miss them both.

Q. What do English batsmen and drug addicts have in common?
A. Both spend most of their time wondering where their next score will come from.

Q. What does an English batsman who is playing in The Ashes have in common with Michael Jackson?
A.They both wore gloves for no apparent reason.

Q. What is the difference between Cinderella and the Pommy cricket team?
A. Cinderella knew when to leave the ball.

Q. What's the difference between the Pommy cricket team and a funeral director?
A. A funeral director isn't going to lose the ashes.

Bit of a red herring but we have Keighley born woman in the England team currently playing Australia, indeed she top scored with 68 in the first innings, and 35 in the second. This is Arran Brindle. She bats at no 5.

Here come the girls! Watch out Wallies!and/or Roos. English Sheilas shine downunder.

Don't be vulgar, Terry!

Current location (optional) Cottingham, E. Yorkshire

This appeared among my e-mal messages today, from where I have no idea. However, I'm sure that followers of this thread will appreciate it...

Federal Court Ruling on 7-Y-O Boy....

CANBERRA -

A seven-year-old boy was at the centre of a courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him.

The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with the child custody law and regulations requiring that family unity be maintained to the degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried out that they also beat him.

After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the English Cricket team, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

Doug