KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Run Down?

Ingrow St. John's CC played for a number of years at a field at the bottom end of the site. Presumably they rented it from the local authority.Were they there before 1946 renting it from Haggas', and did they move to the site near Slingsby's foundry when the site was redeveloped for KBGS, or had they already moved?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I am fairly sure Ing St Johns CC were there for at least the summer of 1964, maybe 1965 as well , but beyond that I dont know.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Better ask David Boddy rather than speculate.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 to 1966

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

It beggars belief that the Victorians could build fine public buildings which showed such pride in the municipality. What is really needed in the case of the Mechanics , the Old School , and most of all the Clock Tower, is a campaign for the full restoration of them all. After all the most significant views of Keighley always show the Square and the old Clock Tower. Its the first thing that comes to mind .What a project that would be .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Mike`s suggestion is right. But will the powers that be in Bfd. concur? I think not.No doubt whatever happens to the site in the future will be wrong for KLY.as we knew it.As they say "onwards and upwards" but in the case of this town will this be the way forward?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

Ingrow St Johns did in fact play cricket in the bottom field at Oakbank.
I do believe that Pecy Hardacre the secretary and treasurer for many years advised the council to let ISJCC stay there. ISJCC would maintain the ground and keep it fit for school games. Percy also advised that the ground was riddled with springs and if dug up it would be years before it could be sorted. And so it was the fields were waterlogged for many years. So we moved to Marriner Road where we staid for many years before moving to Morton.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1964

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

Percy Hardacre - don't know where he lived but he used to walk past the back of our house regularly. It seemed that everyone knew Percy and, to me as a young lad, he seemed to be at least 75 years old. Was he a universally known Keighley character or was it just that he was significant in the world I inhabited?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Shaun I think he lived down Foster Road. Wasn't he League Secretary as well as being associated with Ingrow St Johns?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

A photograph of Percy Hardacre appears on our website; if you click on 'Cricket', then '1958' then 'Keighley Cup Winners', which will show Percy standing extreme right of picture, with his son, Henry, alongside. There's someone on the back row that looks a bit like me, with hair!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Hi Shaun
Percy Hardacre was "Mr Cricket".
I don't know if the are still there but when Percy died his son Henry donated all Percy's record books of results ect from the Keighley League and the West Bradford league to Keighley reference library. Percy lived at 25 Foster Road Ingrow. He was a founder member of Ingrow St Johns' C.C. when they reformed in 1928.Percy and his good friend George Bown found the old bag of cricket gear in Ingrow St Johns' Church and decided to reform the club.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1964

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

I went out to open bat for ISJCC and Percy was umpire. I looked up to take my guard and said" leg and middle Percy please" First ball thudded into my pad well outside off stump and well forward. Percy gave out straight away. As I passed him he said 'tell the others to call me Umpire not Percy/.

I suspect that it was his terrific enthusiasm for cricket across the grades that made Percy such a well known figure. He seemed to be at all the matches I attended be it 3rd division (Juniors) which is where I first became aware of him, or the seconds and of course the first teams, I was scorer for Cross Roads 1st X1 for a while! He was a good citizen by any standards. I was only 17 when I left home and yet I felt that I knew Percy. I didn't of course, but that was his nature.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ