KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Perusing "The Keighlian"

On perusing “The Keighlian “ (Christmas 1958), I was intrigued by the issues that had exercised the minds of KBGS pupils in the Autumn Term 1958.

“Society Notes” (i.e.School not High) had some interesting insights.

C.E.W.C. (Council for Education in World Citizenship ?) started in school, I believe, and certainly promoted by Wilbur Bloomfield, had a “highly entertaining“ joint debate with KGGS . The motion was “That some form of restriction be put on Immigration from the Commonwealth” and was “narrowly carried by 2 votes” – 10 years before Powell’s “rivers of blood” speech and 55 years before Theresa May’s £3000 immigration bond blocked by Nick Clegg.

The “33” Society, started by Nev Hind in 1933, had 2 debates…
“This House believes that the common people of this country are idiots and as such have no right to vote” (Lost 9-4 with 3 abstentions ).
“This House believes that the school should adopt a compulsory school uniform” - ‘overwhelmingly carried’.
The "33" was a sixth form society and this report castigated the lower 6th ("justifiably maligned scientists")for their apathy.

The Literary and Debating Society had 2 meetings testing the motions….
“That this house believes that comprehensive schools are the only system which is fair to everybody” Lost by 21 -5.
“That this house believes popular music is degrading to modern youth”. “quite well attended” , vote not recorded but I recall it was heavily defeated..

Each annalist of the above societies appealed for better attendance and more involvement whereas the Bird Watching Club had a talk from Mr Peart on “Some Thoughts in Watching Birds” and reported that “an encouraging number of newcomers was present".

Any more gleanings from "The Keighlian"?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Re: Perusing "The Keighlian"

All very interesting Terry. But I am astonished to hear Tony Peart had an interest in birds, was it really the feathered variety?. His birds were made of iron, had large wheels and were powered by steam !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

So the Council for Education in World Citizenship wanted to restrict immigration? Got to smile at that one....

Indeed Allan.
Furthermore, I notice that the "33" Society debated a motion in 1958 which said "This House believes that the school should adopt a compulsory school uniform". That's the year I started at the school and I'm sure that it was made clear to us from the start that there WAS a school uniform.
Perhaps it wasn't the scientists who were "justifiably maligned" - shouldn't that read "justly maligned" - but those who had debated a motion to introduce something which was already in place.
Oh, and "Percy" Peart was indeed a birder Brian.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I don't think "irony" was a strong point, Allan.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Anybody go to the talk? I was curious to know what thoughts arise in watching birds.

Terry, such thoughts ensured above average attendances at the joint debates on immigration with KGGS....

Good point, well made , Allan.
Clearly you were present at both events. Birds and KGGS.
Sadly, I ducked out on all except the pop music debate.
Your entry does not include your "Years at KBGS".
Furnishing them could add significantly to your credentials in this review.

58 to 65. Zero credentials. I managed to not participate in anything extracurricular apart from rugby. Opportunities missed, with hindsight.