KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Old Comics.

Yes Arthur the old comics gave a good foundation for a lifetime of reading . Why there was so much objection at the time to children reading comics I could never understand . From the initial Chicks Own and Comic Cuts , then on to Beano and Dandy, gradually entering the real world with Adventure , Hotspur, Rover and Champion ,but best of all Wizard. When the publishers decided to introduce pictures and those lousy bubbles of words that finished my reading of them for good . Come to think of it I could never stand the American style comics which format the English ones followed . More's the pity.
Apart from that a favourite of the time was the "Childrens Newspaper" I think it was Arthur Mee's . We carefully copied the strange facts at the bottom of each page into a small book for future reference . The start of a lifetime of hoarding things.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania