KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Train spotting

For all the names of Jubilee Class and Scots look in the trainspotters section of the photos. I have put them all in .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Grandads and Snorters. The latter at Skipton Sheds. Now one a stalwart on the K.W.V.R. Trainspotter speak.My favourite was 40586 or something which arrived in KLY.every Sat. morning on its way to Costa D`ell Geriatrica.A pre-compound but obviously a real work-horse.Have even been on it.Always remember being thrown out of the cab of a "Streak"at York Station whilst it was moving . Could have ended up in Newcastle!
I credit my great General Knowledge re-the plethora of quiz shows on the `box to my Train-spotting days a/ Because of all the namers and b/ we could "roam" all over.Finally,the intense competitiveness of"copping"

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) Haworth

I have just seen in our photos section the picture of 'Britannia' class 'John of Gaunt' (who is my Great x19 Grandfather!). Britannias (50 odd of them ) were the last big class of steam locos and were built in the early 50's as an attempt to standardise loco design through the regions . I do not know if any ever came through Keighley , or were used by our region. I have seen 'Oliver Cromwell' at Bressingham Gardens (Near Diss) and he looks magnificent

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

I always understood that steam locomotives were female Brian as opposed to male!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 to 1966

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea

Actually I did think about that when I posted., but could I relly post J of G as a female ?? I suppose he did sort of 'drag' stuff around !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Try: 'Scots Guardsman' Brian.

The other Holbeck 'Scots', or those that were regulars through Keighley were:

Royal Scots Fusilier
Seaforth Highlander
Royal Engineer
Sherwood Forrester
Cameronian
Scots Guardsman
The Green Howards
The Duke of Wellington's Reg.(West Riding)

Whilst Jubilee's were:

Alberta
New South Wales
Victoria
Queensland
Western Australia
Tasmania
Newfoundland
Gwalior
Barbados
Cyprus
Gibraltar
Raleigh
Drake
Hardy
Bellerophon

That's how we learned about the 'Commonwealth' and our history, not forgetting geography!

Dave, interesting to compare the list you have with the ones underlined in the ABC of LMS locos that I saw in 1945. I too credit the train spotting for my life long interest in Geography and History.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Latterly, Clans were put on the 11:01 Service to Carlisle. There was always a collective groan when the same "Namer"appeared at Kly Station and for that matter any engine we had seen before.One reason why we all"roamed" in our quest to "cop"numbers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) Haworth

You'll have to start using 45569 as your location Mike!