KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Air raid shelter "Discovered"

My father used to tell the story of seeing the Hindenburg almost blotting out the sky near "the cross" and dropping something in the vicinity.
The cross, I think, was where the roundabout is where Oakworth Road and South Street meet. Was there a memorial there?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

As an Electrician( Air) I was posted to RAF Bassingbourn and given 6 Meteor jets and an Anson and a Tiger Moth to service. The Avro Anson was used to train wireless operators and had 6 radio transmitters onboard. They had a ground broadcast range of about ten miles. I used to pass my time sat in the Anson tuned into BBC Home Service feeding bogus and grossly exaggerated Test Scores into the local area. Hehe! Not sure if anyone heard but it gave me a giggle.

No, not there but in Morton Banks cemetery. I saw it quite often as a child. Memory may be playing tricks but I think that there were something like 14 names on it.

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Cottingham, East Yorkshire

My Gran,saw the said Zeppelin from her house in Grafton Rd,fly over Lund Park . It later dropped flowers or something to commemorate dead German P.O.W.`s in Morton Banks Cemetery. I know this is nothing to do with Air Raid Shelters but it just tells me that even in those far off days Kly. was on the German "Radar" Hence the seriousness of Air Raid Shelters.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) Haworth

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1300&dat=19360525&id=9xoRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=S5UDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4329,2641527

Contemporary report of the Zeppelin incident.

It occurs to me only now, after John's contribution, to wonder why the Graf Zeppelin made the journey to drop flowers for that particular grave. Did it then go on and do the same at other British locations? Or was it on some sort of reconnaissance flight, even in 1936? And who were the dead German soldiers from '14-'18, and where had they died that must have been in the Keighley area? Did they die of war wounds or in the Spanish flu epidemic that swept Europe in the winter of '18-'19? These questions sound like a project for our archive sleuth from Denholme!!!

Pipped me by a second, Allan!

Doug

A slightly fuller report with names of the scouts and the German priest who dropped the flowers and letter and of his brother who probably died of that flu epidemic in a Skipton POW camp here
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1946&dat=19360613&id=1X8tAAAAIBAJ&sjid=MJkFAAAAIBAJ&pg=6811,1727991

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 54-59

Current location (optional) Denholme