KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Patent medicines and other poisons

Oh, by the way, ipecac was a formulation of ipecacuana. See at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipecac

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

How about a spoonful of Vaseline to cure constipation?

Yes you have read this correctly, because as a child I (unbelievably)was encouraged to do this.

Current location (optional) Shipley

Terry, it was Carter's Little Liver Pills...

Doug

KW you mean orally or anally !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

You're surely not suggesting it should be dug out with a greasy spoon?

Can you still buy "Andrews' Liver Salts"?

I also remember full size posters declaring the efficacy of "Beechams' Powders/Pills" and things called "Bile Beans", though I doubt they'd be targeted at kids.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 65

Nobody has mentioned cod liver oil and malt, or for that matter, cod liver oil on its own.

I used to enjoy Andrews Liver SAlts as a fizzy drink!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

I loved cod liver oil and malt. For me it was a dessert. I can close my eyes now and taste it.

Definitely orally Brian - I can still taste it after all these years!

Current location (optional) Shipley

This item had Mary and I digging out the potions from our childhood.Odd ones are still in use today such as Vick Vapour Rub which Mary swears by and I swear at !
Milk of Magnesia to clear your blood , a horrible glutinous white compound took a lot of getting down as did Syrup of Figs which was for constipation . That was foul stuff... For earache a sliced onion against the ear was all we had . I regularly had Goose Grease applied to my chest when I had a bad cough . It was pretty harmless. Usually the first stuff to be put on was Eucalyptus and Camphorated Oil rubbed on the chest and covered with a piece of flannel . For boils and stubborn splints there was the Antiphlogistine Poultice put on hot ,very painful.
As we had no antibiotics at the first sign of anything wrong we were packed off to bed and a fire was lit in the bedroom . I never ever went to a doctors surgery , not till I moved away to a village in Leicestershire at 16. throughout my childhood the doctors always came to the house and would come twice a day if they were worried about the patient . If we had a temperature we were starved for a few days and then allowed a boiled egg and bread and butter.
The Dentist was pretty brutal . once I had 13 teeth out in one go he used Gas for anaesthetic [Nitrous Oxide] I came round during the proceedings as he was whipping the last few out and the teeth were pinging against the window . I can see the room now .
The chief thing we had to avoid as kids was Scarlet Fever and Diphtheria and we were warned on going out to play to keep clear of the drains
When you read this you wonder how we ever survived .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

My mother used to make soap and sugar poultices for boils and splinters. They worked a charm for splinters, the next day, take it off and the splinter would fair fly out!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

Liquid Paraffin. Zubes. 69um

Yes Arthur, I forgot about the Liquid Paraffin. Mary however remembered,as they do! Flowers of Sulphur was also given to cleanse the blood .
Not a medicinal matter but how about the toothpaste of the time,Gibbs Dentifice , in a round flat tin with no sides . Sort of a communa.l thing and we shared it with the rest of the family ,rubbing a wet toothbrush in untill the stuff stuck to the bristles. Real hygienic stuff.

Current location (optional) Tasmania.