KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Future of K.B.G.S.building and associated Tech.

I have written to the K.N.on this subject years ago. Then I proposed pulling everything down and making a green space. Now I have changed my mind. . Yes ,pull everything down but in their places build social housing type flats for all sections of the community. I was taught by Pack in the 6th form that KLY. developed on the Centripetal system. Looking at all the To Let signs in the centre of Town makes me think that the planning system of allowing more of the Green Belt to be used should implode.Why can`t all To Lets by law be Govt.grant aided to change to residential use .Yes this will involve demolition but like "a phoenix from the flames" whole industrial districts of Kly will become transformed. Let`s face it Kly faces decades of Industrial flat-lining and will never reach the Industrial zenith it once enjoyed.The K.B.G.S.site might kick -start this process. Something Miles Gale might have been proud of if he happened to be alive today!Notwithstanding the fact the old Grammar School should never have been swept away in my opinion.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) Haworth

Re: Future of K.B.G.S.building and associated Tech.

This idea is,I think, very sound.I believe there is some new legislation which allows business use to change to residential use - maybe someone more au fait with the present situation could comment.It is a fairly recent change though whether it is a suggestion or a done deal I don't know.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1940-48

Current location (optional) Epsom

Just been an item on BBC News this evening saying legislation is in place to permit this and some London borough is intending to make a start on it.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Whatever they build there, I hope it's not some horrible concrete and glass square box. This is a prominent and defining site in Keighley.