KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
J M Anderson at Trent Bridge

Oh! Jimmy.
We have watched you game after game.
and gloried in your mastery.
To some it’s attainment through effort,
while others strive to attain and fail.
God made you, Jimmy,
and there will be a time
when you can go where summer
swerves over green grass all day,
when low clouds persuade the ball,
and a roughened side induces;
when you can pound, untiring,
to the line,
ball on ball,
and watch God Almighty
play and miss.

Re: J M Anderson at Trent Bridge

Well done and thanks for that Arthur. Unfortunately he's not a Yorkshireman !
As an aside I had the privilege of being a student at Nottm Uni when Gary Sobers played for them. Students could get in to Trent Bridge for 2 shillings (same as a pint of beer) after the tea break and would check to see if he was likely to be batting or bowling before we went.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: J M Anderson at Trent Bridge

I actually 'watch' Brian through you Tube. Cricinfo 'Ball by ball" and my own imagination plus the Guardian online. He is probably the finest fast bowler we have produced if not 'ever' then certainly in a very long time. God Bless Fred , of course but he never had reverse swing. The last performance I can remember to match Anderson's last test was Willis at Leeds Australian second innings in what is remembered as Botham's Test. He was bowling in his own world and took eight wickets - a remarkable performance.