KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Kirky

Hi Terry I enjoyed your post of the 14th May which brought back some nice memories from my once only visit to School Camp back in 1949. I do remember taking a bike with me, by train, as mentioned, which enabled me to travel to Gatehouse for a cricket match with 'the locals'. I remember not having a chance to bat in the game, although I did take the last 3 wickets for very few runs, bowling some assorted leg-breaks and winning the game quite easily. I don't recall a game with the Kirky local team; might have been due to the weather conditions.
I do not recall taking part in any beach activities or for that matter, the fact that there was a beach 'across the road'. Might well have been 'out of bounds' at that time, for some reason. We seemed to play an awful lot of volley-ball during the periods of dry weather which we had, playing the game until we were all utterly exhausted.
Money-wise, I recall taking with me a ten shilling note a few bits of loose change which lasted for the whole of the two weeks holiday. Money went a long way in those days.
The Camp Concert was a good bit of fun with Eric Pickering and another 6th former doing a pretty good job singing 'The Bold Gendarmes', which received a great round of applause.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley