KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Drake and Tonson Prize.

The pub which Alfred Brown mentions in his book as having the 'Free Ale for Nothing' sign is one called the Chequers Inn at Slapestones, a village near to Osmotherley over in the North East corner of the county, Ryedale in fact. I don't recall ever having been over that way. It is obvious from reading my re-discovered prize, that my geographical knowledge of our great county is severely lacking ........ and sadly is likely to remain so!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk, UK.

Re: Drake and Tonson Prize.

Hi Denis; The 'Free Ale for Nothing' sign reminds me of a small filling station in Addingham some 60-plus years ago, run by a very smart, well-dressed old man called James Hadley. Outside his filling station he had a highly visible sign which which offered 'Free Petrol Tomorrow'!!! And as we all know, 'tomorrow never comes'!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley