KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bill Walsh-Back in Town

Those of you who have read the 'Physics Lab' thread recently, will have gleaned the fact that New Zealand based, Bill Walsh, and his wife Carolyn, were back in Keighley for 7 days only, during the middle of April. Whilst they were here I offered to take them for a bite to eat down at The Turkey Inn to repay the hospitality they paid me when in Auckland a few years back. When I went to pick them up from the house of Bill's cousin(Malcolm Walsh), where they were staying, the two of them were discussing the age/d.o.b.,of one Ian Dewhirst M.B.E., who was a contemporary of them both. All three of them appear on the 1950 School Panorama, which also includes myself.
When we eventually made it down to The Turkey who turned up at the bar but the man himself, Ian Dewhirst! Would you believe it? I left them talking together whilst I took a photo of the two of them, which I uploaded on our Website, under Miscellaneous', on the 26th April(see top of Home Page)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Re: Bill Walsh-Back in Town

What a great post David, these things happen sometimes. Havent seen Ian myself for many years though.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Thanks for this David. We sure did enjoy our lunch at the Turkey. Thanks for that. We can recommend it for its good food and service and as a bonus for me, it serves Timothy Taylors Landlord! It was good to be back in Keighley, albeit a very short visit, but equally it was good to arrive back in Auckland a few days ago.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland,NZ

Bill Walsh-Back in Town

FOR INFORMATION
IAN DEWHIRST MBE. "I was born on October 17th, 1936 "

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-1955

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

Hi Derek. I forgot to add that it was a real pleasure to meet up with you and your friends also. Carolyn also enjoyed meeting you all and says to thank you for your wee gift. They went down well! cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland,NZ