KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Physics Lab circa 1951

It's my age! Sorry Bill. I would have been in 3A at the time. I started in 1A in 1945 and transferred to the X form in my fourth year. {when my results improved no end as soon as soon as I dropped Latin}
Enjoy your trip to Italy. Where are you going? I was there [Tuscany] painting 3 years ago. Wonderful!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK

Piedmont region. Our daughter went there 11-12 years ago to teach English and never came home! Lovely spot but it costs an arm and a leg to see your grandchildren from NZ! We enjoy visiting there Dennis, I usually amuse the locals with my bad Italian. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

In the early 50s science was confined to General Science in years 1 and 2. Physics and Chemmy were introduced to year 3 and onward.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

It was still so when I started at KBGS in 1958, we had Ben Tren for General Science, and in second year Mike Hardstaff (who was an incoming Biology teacher). We started Chemmy and Phys with Stoker and Sam in Sept 1960. Also we had the choice of 6 periods Latin or 4 Biology with 2 Art. I did Latin with Gus.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Yes Brian, I well remember following the same program as yourself (the only difference being Rev.J.F.(aka"Creep")Moore for Gen.Sc.in 1C).
Like you, I followed the latin option, feeling excluded from biology by the hideous spectre of continuing art. I suspect you might share the sentiment!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Dudley, West Midlands

Absolutely Brian, no way was I going to do Art ! I was 1A which is why we had Ben Tren. But Latin was supposed to be a posh subject to do and was still required by one of the Oxbridges at the time we started Latin in 1959. My parents wanted me to do it, though I never aspired to go to an Oxbridge .
Anyway were off the thread of the Physics lab.
Ha Ha, just had the thought of Sam saying 'And now I will demonstrate the dust tube experiment attributed to Kooooont '

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral