KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Article in the Telegraph and Argus

I was quite flattered to see the article about my mystery novels on Kindle in the T&A printed on the KBGS website. But there were one or two errors including the time I spent at KBGS - a crucial and 'golden' stage of my education. It was at KBGS that I spent my formative years and I couldn't have had a better education. Then, it was as good as any school in Britain - public or state. I was at KBGS from 1944-51 in the latter years of the war, when we still stood in the daily assembly to honour Old Boys killed in the war, including one or two who were prefects when I started school and were killed in the last year of the war. I remember especially a poignant painting by our art master, Hildred Harpin, painted in memory of Old Boys killed in the war and whom he'd taught. It showed the resurrected Christ emerging from Gordale Scar. I wonder where that painting is now? Underneath the frame it had all the names of the Old Boys who'd lost their lives in World War Two. One can only imagine how the teachers felt who'd taught them.

The second error was that I live in Norfolk. I don't. I live near Shrewsbury where I came to teach in 1969 and where I taught in a local grammar school and ministered in the prison there in the evenings and at weekends for forty years as a volunteer chaplain till I retired in 2009.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1944 - 51

Current location (optional) Shrewsbury

Re: Article in the Telegraph and Argus

You misread it John. I posted the article and the details which you assumed referred to yourself referred to me. I was at school during the period 45 - 50 and it is I who lives in Norfolk. I too remember the Gordale Scar resurrection painting by Harry . I guess it would have been "binned" years ago. Was the old art room consumed in the flames?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Re: Article in the Telegraph and Argus

Well done John ,it's good to hear of your success with the books . I well remember the party Peter and I attended at your house . The star event being the "Shocking Machine " where we sat in a circle , joined hands , and then on connecting to the generator waited as the voltage built up to see who let go first . The next time we met was in the bar at Leeds University in 1953 after I had played in a football match there . Sorry to read about your bad spell of health and hope you are managing well . We never know what is around the corner at eighty .
You will have seen your photo on the cricket section with the Holy Trinity team . Seems a long time ago now
Best wishes , Mike

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania