KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ian Park, my father

Hello, I am wondering if anyone knew my Dad, Ian Park. My name is Simon and I am his son. My Dad went to Keighley Boys Grammar School in the 1950s, since he was born in 1940 I assume he left in 1958. The reason for the message is that my Dad died in 1981 when I was only 10 and as my children are now of a similar age to me when he dies I have become increasingly aware of how little I know about him particularly before he met my mum.
My Dad appears in a a few Photos, the 1957-58 first XV rugby side and the 1956-57 second XV. and I think the 1958 Panora photo. I have a couple of school pictures of his that don't appear in the archives here and I will copy them and post them. I also have his rugby cap, which is in excellent condition.
Any info, stories or pictures would be of huge interest.
Simon Park

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) Approx 1950-58

Current location (optional) Nottingham

Re: Ian Park, my father

I was saddened to read your posting - especially since I was not aware of Ian's premature death. I think if you are able to contact David Collen who was contemporary with Ian and me, he may have more recollections than most as I believe they both attended Devonshire Street Congs and were attenders at the Youth Club and knew each other outside school.

I played in the same rugby XV as Ian 1958-9 the year he left. He was capped the year before I made the team. He played on the left wing and was quite a quick and elusive runner. The team strategy was to get the ball quickly and move it out to the wings so he saw quite a lot of ball.For A level he studied Geography and was in the same group as me for History. I think he also did English. He was a good gymnast and I believe he went on to train as a PE teacher - at Leeds? Sheffield? I don't recall meeting him again after he left school. He didn't play in any of the Old Boys matches and I didn't have much contact with old boys after I left. I remember him as a cheerful personality with a sense of fun and a ready smile who seemed to enjoy his schooldays.

I hope you get more responses from other pupils who had more in common with your dad. So sorry to read your posting which came as a shock.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Strange phenomenon - recollection. Some time after completing the above for which I had scoured my memory, I recalled a photo of Ian which appeared in The Keighley News during August 1961. As there were only weekly editions, you should be able to identify the edition and obtain a copy of the photo from the paper - or the reference library. It was part of a report on students working in their summer vacation. Ian was photographed with David Harrison working in the warehouse at Peter Black's slipper factory.

The report reads .....
"Ian Park(21) 54 Redcliffe Street, Keighley, - found their work enjoyable.....
Ian's comment was 'It's a means of helping to eke out a living with a meagre educational grant."
"Ian, who is studying to be a geography teacher, has worked for the last two years during the vacation doing bus cleaning.'I wanted a change this time and this is a much cleaner job.'"
"Both he and David are general handymen, packing and despatching (sic) goods, driving vans and so on"

Try Photos - School Trips 1955

Hi Simon, I knew Ian through school, rugby and Devonshire Street Church Scouts. I went to the Jamboree with him in 1956. Ian was really keen on his drumming and played a side drum when there were Scout Parades. His mother's kitchen table had scars to show how much he practised!! We all found that very amusing. She was a lovely Mum and very patient! Ian also played a mean game of table tennis in the days when Youth Clubs and table tennis were an important part of life. Not sure whether we have any photos, we'll search!
David Collen

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-1959

Were your grandparents Frank and Nellie Park? My dad worked with Frank at the West Yorkshire bus company and I knew them and have a couple of photos of them.However your dad would have been in my brothers age group.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1963

Current location (optional) Devon

Yes that's right, I have my grandads watch that he was given for 40 years service. Would love to seethe photos.