KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Arthur Bailey

An item in this week's Keighley News profiles a former KBGS scholar named Arthur Bailey who has recently celebrated his 102nd birthday, which must make him the oldest living ex-pupil of our School.
He spent all his working life with the Co-op, starting with the company at the age of 15, becoming an accountant and later a Managing Secretary. He joined the Army in 1942 and found himself on the D-Day beaches as a Staff Sergeant with the 6th Airborne Division, after which he took part in the military campaign across N.West Europe.
Mr Bailey was a magistrate for 50 years and spent ten years as Chairman of the Bench before retiring in 1981. In addition, he he was one of four trustees who oversaw Sir Brace well Smith's handover of Cliffe Castle house and park to the people of Keighley.
He was a keen sportsman for most of his active life and played cricket for Long Lee C.C., where he is now President.
I wonder how many 'old boys' knew him, or knew of him? I recall my brother Arthur, worked for the Co-op in his pre National Service years and would have known his name, for sure!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Re: Arthur Bailey

Here's an article from when he was a mere lad of 100.

Thanks for this David and Chris. What a lovely story. How nice it is to read about someone who has lived a full and active life and contributed to society like Arthur did. Well done. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

I think he deserves an invitation to the next reunion. As my guest.What a remarkable long life and all in the one place.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania