KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Paul Greenwood

I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.
Sincere condolences to his family & friends.

That really is a sad loss. After many years of not knowing what had become of him, I suddenly bumped into him at the 2011 KBGS Reunion, he came to last year's and was certainly intending to be with us again in September. Richard, I think it was 1958 that he left to take up a post at the then Bingley Teacher Training College. I left in summer '58 and he had either already gone or was known to be leaving then. Do you have any more details? Last September he was awaiting an operation in hospital but that's the last I heard.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) mid-Lancashire

So sad to hear of Paul's passing. Only recently have I managed to upload 10 photographs from last year's Reunion, amongst which was one of Paul with Doug Thompson and Bryan Liddemore. It came out quite well, with Paul seeming to be enjoying himself and the company he was with. Sad that he will not be with us again this year.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Sorry to hear this, I only had him for music in the first year, and remember what fun we had as he tried to weed out the 'grunters' i.e. those unable to sing.
I also remember his novel 'Unwillingly to School'
I also attended some concerts at Keighley Music Club, he conducted Keighley Orchestra Society.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Paul was a friend of mine at school and I guess his years were 1940-47. Since I was a year younger than most in my form Paul went to the Royal Northern College of Music the year before I went to Cambridge. He was a fine man, humorous and active until he was struck down by a series of illnesses which led to a breakdown of the nervous system.

Paul died peacefully on Tuesday evening with his wife and daughter at his side.

Our main contact was by email and I last saw him in 2007. He kept up his email correpondence until the autumn of last year. He is now at peace and our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Jean and his children, grandchildren, step children and step grandchildren.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1940-48

Current location (optional) Epsom

Brian R Moate
Sorry to hear this, I only had him for music in the first year, and remember what fun we had as he tried to weed out the 'grunters' i.e. those unable to sing.
I also remember his novel 'Unwillingly to School'
I also attended some concerts at Keighley Music Club, he conducted Keighley Orchestra Society.

Yes, I was one of the ones weeded out as a 'growler'. All these years later I'm still growling....