KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
News of My Year

I may have asked this before but here goes again in case the visitors to this site may have increased and some may remember. About the only two people in my year I keep in touch with are Paul Greenwood and Cedric Phillips.There was someone else, Nigel Earnshaw. He was a good cricketer. We were last in touch in about 1955/6 but I have no idea of where he might be now if he is still with us. Anyone else read these pages who was in the sixth form in the years 1946-48 (three years because several of us stayed on to take Oxbridge exams) who may remember/know of him? Or indeed any more of my now advanced age (83 this year)?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1940-48

Current location (optional) Epsom

Re: News of My Year

Hi Tom.

It would seem that if there are any lads from your years still active on this site, they are too busy to make regular contact. However, I thought that I'd post a reply just to let you know that there is at least one person who remembers you well, even though I am some five years your junior. You will no doubt have seen the photos of Paul Greenwood when he attended the 2012 re-union celebration. He made himself known to me - I didn't recognise him even though we had attended the same Youth Club way back in the late 1940's. I have a photograph somewhere which features both of us and several other KBGS Old Boys. I'll see if I can dig it out. You may find it of interest.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 1950

Hello Tom
I have let this go a couple of days in case anyone better informed than me responds. I remember you and Nigel as being prefects in my first year at KBGS. I remember Nigel well, being a Cross Roads lad, and the Earnshaws had a few branches of the family in the village. The last time I recall seeing him was when he returned home from University one holidays and came down to the park and kicked a ball around with us. THAT was a long time ago! Maybe 50-51? His cousin Keith was more my age and played cricket and football with us and Keith's dad was a stalwart of Cross Roads Cricket Club. I think the last time I saw Nigel's name mentioned might have been by yourself saying that the last time you saw him was in London many years ago. I do still have a few contacts in the village so I can make an enquiry there to see if any of the older ones know what happened to the Earnshaws. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Hi Tom
My cousin tells me that the Earnshaws moved to Morecambe many years ago. I have googled Earnshaw/Morecambe in the BT telephone directory and there are three in that area. One is a K J Earnshaw. That just might be Keith who is a cousin of Nigel. Worth a try! Cheers

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Hi Dennis. I am still active as you put it and just turned 80. Remember Tom well and the name Nigel Earnshaw rings a bell . Was Kenneth Paver in the same year Tom? Good to hear you are OK Not many contributors from the war years now .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

There is a Keith (RK) Earnshaw in the Beeston area of Nottingham who is ex KBGS. We last met about 12 years ago at Ocean Park, Maine where he was visiting relatives of his family and my wife's family. I don't know whether he was older or younger than me but he will be in his 80s. I don't remember him at school. His father was a tall man who I believe was a commercial traveller for a firm in Russell Street, probably Hoyle's. Could this Keith Eanshaw be the one some of you knew. I have his contact details if anyone is interested

I also remember a Tom Punt at school, but I thought he was in my year. However I do remember Kenneth Paver very well. He was younger than me and since you were in his year Tom, you must be that Tom Punt. There couldn't have been two of the same name so close together.

Incidentally are you related to Brian Punt? He was working for the railway at York when I last met him and his wife on a train between Newcastle and York. I was sitting opposite this couple on the train when the lady cautiously asked: Are you David?? It was good to catch up with them when I realised who they were.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1937-1944

Current location (optional) Huntingdon

Hi David,

Good to know some of my father's generation are still around. Although he first went to KBGS in 1934, you and he overlapped for a few years.

Best wishes
Chris

Current location (optional) Singapore

Thanks Bill! At 83 (in a few weeks anyway) I guess the chances of any others of my year being around are fairly slim. There is of course the incomparable Joe McDowell, a stalwart of the Reunions, who was a friend of the late Paul Greenwood at school. The only other one of my year am still in touch with is C.W. (Cedric) Phillips. You may remember him as well?

Tom

I am so sorry I am late thanking you for your answer. I remember your name David but can't picture you. First of all if you started at KBGS in 1937 that must mean you are about 87? That in itself is good to hear since I used to think I was probably the oldest visitor to the site. The Earnshaw you describe wasn't Nigel; Earnshaw was a fairly common name in the school.

More sadly I have to tell you that Brian Punt who worked for the railway and was based in York was indeed related; he was my cousin but he passed away after a long illness in early January of this year.

I wonder why you thought I was in your year? As I have said before I went to KBGS aged 10 in 1940 on a "Drake and Tonson" scholarship so you were three years ahead of me.

Tom

Obviously I was wrong in thinking you were in my year. I never reached the heights in sport or anything else at KBGS except in my final year when I was appointed one of the two sub-prefects (Bryan Ramsden being the other)and also, by some fluke, got a County Major Scholarship which took me to King's College London. My only photo on the website is in part 3 of the 1940 Panorama. I am the unwashed one (or so my daughter has described me)sitting in front of Miss Whitehead, who incidentally brushed my hair just before the photo was taken!! At 86 years old, I now look somewhat older. On my right is John Poppleton, with whom I am still in contact, and on my left Bryan Ramsden. In front of me are two younger boys - Brian Spencer and Kenneth Watson - they may have been in your year.

I was sorry to hear that your cousin Brian passed away early this year. I knew him and his wife Helen very well through Temple Street Church.

Kind regards

David

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1937-44

Current location (optional) Huntingdon

Hi David,

I know it's decades ago but can you recall what part of the year the 1940 Panorama photo was taken. Basically, was it the first half or second half?

The reason I am asking is because my father left school in 1940, so if the photo was taken at the beginning of 1940 my father should be on the photo. I haven't been able to identify him yet though.

Thanks
Chris

Current location (optional) Singapore