KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: google streetview

I notice that in some views the cyclist is looking back at the camera and in others he's actually looking where he's going - must have something to do with the time lapse camera.

The "time lapse" must have been enormous! The view from the Skipton Road shows the former playground devoid of parked cars whereas, if you transfer viewpoint down Alice Street, it's virtually full!

It's interesting to speculate on changes to the scene since the "panorama" days:

I'm certain the rectangular stone block in the right hand corner didn't exist (or was at least much smaller) back then.
The parking bay markings and bollards by the Alice Street gate, of course reflect the inexorable march of progress since.
There was a (little-used) bicycle shed running full length, or almost, beneath the bottom row of windows (although this would always be obscured in the panorama photographs).
I also have a feeling there was at least one more tree to the right of those in the foreground.
Has anyone any further observations?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 65

Current location (optional) Dudley, West Midlands

trevor pickles
I notice that in some views the cyclist is looking back at the camera and in others he's actually looking where he's going - must have something to do with the time lapse camera.

Talking about time lapse photos--Does anyone remember a panorama photo on a school wall where the same lad is at both ends of the photo? I can't remember who he was but he is supposed to have jumped down after the camera moved on and run along the back and up the other end before the camera got there. Before my time. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, NZ

Hi Mike
I've been watching the terrible bushfires in Tassie on our news and hope they are not near you. I have had contact with my sister in Mathinna and she says they are ok but about an hour and a half drive away from the nearest at this stage. Just awful. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, NZ

Thanks for the concern Bill . Thankfully we are well away from the fires down south but today there is a fire threatening my sons property along the north west coast at Mawbanna and that could be a bit serious if it crosses a main road tomorrow .Harvest is under way here too and a stray spark would be a disaster.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Funnily enough I was talking with another guy about this today cos the same thing happened at his school in his time. The lad got caned for doing it - seems a bit harsh. I also believe it happenend at KBGS but dont know which panorama it was. Weve got a few on here but frankly I cant be bothered !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Yes Brian,
The square building was built in the '70's and covered the sloping access to the 'downstairs corridor'(?) where the asbestos-covered pipes had the added attraction of barbed-wire (from memory). The alternative entrance was via the steep steps to the right of the square buildings.
Several trees, adjacent to the North Street wall, have been removed since we left in the mid-60's.
Unfortunately, as usual, I don't understand Brian Moate's comment!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 1966

Current location (optional) Shoreham-by-Sea