KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fountain pens

I was going through the stationery order with my temporary secretary and she was amazed when I ordered a box of disposable fountain pens. I hate using a decent pen at work as either I lose them or they get stolen - thus disposables are great for day to day use. Does anyone else still use a fountain pen?

Prut chastised me for using a ball point pen stating that they were messy and never dried. Remember the messy ink pot outside Joe's office?

Re: Fountain pens

I didn't know you could buy disposable fountain pens . I have several old nib pens from the 40's with a box of spare nibs . I suppose these are the equivalent . As for fountain pens , I still use them , having a few in the desk .Some of the fountain pens have the small cylinder of ink These you are supposed to buy when they empty . However with a hypodermic syringe these are easily refilled from the ink bottle , works perfectly.

Current location (optional) Tasmania

John-I still use a fountain pen and have 2 on my desk
One is a Sheaffer and one is a Parker alas not a 51 which was much prized and coveted during my time at KBGS-unfortunately neither improve my writing which years of high speed dictation destroyed -my excuse anyway

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) cumbria

Mine was a cheap and cheerful brand called OSMIROID bought from Hall's shop in Victoria Rd for 1/3d

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

I had a beautiful white pearlised Conway Stewart, I have no idea what happened to it. And yes, I still use a fountain pen when I do write which isn't often now thanks to email. The Conway Stewart website has stunning examples of very expensive pens.

Having been a practicing calligrapher for many years I have always appreciated beautiful letter forms but my skills have diminished as computer 'fonts'and design software have slowly taken over.
I was on a good earner when I was scribing the names on thousands of University testamurs as well as designing and hand writing a number of Honorary Doctorates for recipients such as former PM Malcolm Fraser and K.J.A. Asche, former Chancellor of Deakin University and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the Northern Territory. This included gilding and illustration!

Different league from the rest of us, Trev! Though I did have a Conway Stewart that I prized greatly, but where it ended up? I haven't a clue!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

At school I used a fountain pen for all my written work. Through my degree studies I used a fountain pen for essays and exams. A biro sufficed for notes. I now use a fountain pen with blue (not black) ink when wishing to create an impression of diligence and integrity - probably the only way for me.
At KBGS most lads carried their fountain pen in the top pocket of their blazer, neatly and visibly held in place by the clip of the pen top. To some of the villainous groups in my day at KBGS, this was an invitation to punch one such on the school badge and fracture the fountain pen's reservoir, thus creating a washing challenge for their mam. There were even some in my 4a.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I still have a set of Parker fountain pen and propelling pencil presented to me when I left the NEGB in Keighley in 1954 to emigrate to Australia. I used them for years before giving way to the the inevitable biro and then ran scared in case I lost them, and they hold great sentimental value for me. Terry talks about ink stains. My dad was demobbed after I had passed the County Minor and before actually starting at KBGS, and he brought back from West Africa for me a large wallet made from the skin of an Iguana. The larger wallets we always carried in the inside pocket of our blazer. I hooked my first fountain pen into the fold of this wallet. Yes, one day it leaked and to this day that ink stain from Keighley Boys Grammar School is still there. No, I haven't used it for years as I am usually in shirt sleeves so prefer a smaller wallet for the back pocket. All these memories! Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, NZ

I received a Platignum fountain pen, ballpoint and propelling pencil when I started kbgs, they survived right through my teens and then vanished whilst I was in a year long stupour waiting mr tour of Vietnam