KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
K & D LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY, KGGS AND KBGS Displays Sept 8th

Local Heritage Day on 8th SEPTEMBER TO BE HELD IN THE PUBLIC LIBRARY, REFERENCE ROOM.

Instead of the multi School display, in its place it has been decided to do a Boys’ and Girls’ Grammar School display.

If you or any of your ex-Grammar School acquaintances have any photographs or memorabilia we could use please try and get hold of them and

Contact David Kirkley on keighleyschools@gmail.com

PLEASE NOTE THE APPROACHING DISPLAY DATE PLUS DAVID'S NEW EMAIL ADDRESS
PHOTOGRAPHS AND EPHEMERA URGENTLY REQUIRED !!

Re: K & D LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY, KGGS AND KBGS Displays Sept 8th

We had a most interesting and well attended School Day last Saturday in Keighley Local Studies Library with almost 400 visitors. While we were able to have many hundreds of photographs of Keighley Girls’ Grammar on display, which we rescued before the school was closed and demolished, we had few of the Boys’ Grammar kindly donated by Chris Firth and contributors to this website. There should be many more items detailing the history of Keighley’s premier boys’ school as well as chronicling the social and educational history of our town which needs to be out and enjoyed. Does the school have any?

Current location (optional) Keighley

Search keyword "Rachel" on this forum or contact Rachel Pantelli at Oakbank School for what's left of old school archives.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-59

Current location (optional) Denholme

I was recently in Keighley for the Reunion. I spent an interesting afternoon the day before with Doug Thompson and Gareth Whittaker inspecting (with interest and amusement) in the Reference Library the photo-collections about Keighley schools put together by David Kirkley and Jan Perkins. Gareth also revealed to us the Kenneth Preston collection - which included Prut's detention book in which Doug appeared more frequently than I did. (Sooah !!)

Thanks, David and Jan, for bringing a visual display of KBGS past events etc to the Reunion the next day and to Doug and Gill for putting on another successful reunion. The Keighley RUFC caterers again put on a very tasty buffet.
A great weekend !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Another good re-union event ............ the highlight of which was evidently my tie!

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK

I hear tell that next years "do" is going to be fancy dress.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Under the stairs.

Thanks indeed to Doug for arranging a wonderful day and inviting Jan and I from Keighley Schools Heritage and that our display was so appreciated. We are honoured that we are both now deemed honorary 'old boys'! Now we are Raiders of the Lost Archive!
I think next year should be in school uniform!

I understand that the hunt is on for Old School Ties, in particular the 4 ties of differing colours relating to the 4 Houses( ie Red(Barrett), Yellow(Brigg),Purple(Longsden)and Blue(Smith). Surely there cannot be any of these still hanging around in the back of an old wardrobe somewhere. Can there? Contact David Kirkley if you find one.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

I have the Longsdon version of the tie, in very good nick actually as the "new" (uniform) uniform was introduced during my first year at the school. I'll be very happy to donate it, but how do I get it to David Kirkley?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 65

Current location (optional) Dudley, West Midlands

You can email me on keighleyschools@gmail.com Brian and I will speak to you about the tie. Many thanks, David Kirkley

LongsdOn House colours were Green and Moave.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

My green and white striped tie I think is at my Dads house, but he might also have my house tie still. But its also Mauve - I was Longsdon House Secretary in my last full year). He also has the 'coat of arms ' Prefects badge, and I think a small 'bar' shaped badge coloured Mauve, I cant recall what these were for - did we get them when the tie changed to green/white for all ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

FAO DAVID KIRKLEY;

David, I have attempted to make contact by email with the K & D Local History Society but the email address is invalid.

Can you advise me whether the Society has a copy of the pamphlet:

'A Description of the Coat of Arms and Civic Regalia of the Borough of Keighley' or not?

If not then I will scan it and email it to you (if you can provide a valid email address.

I must admit that the image of Lund Park at the top of your 'Home' page is excellent! Pity it's not like that now!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 1966

Current location (optional) Border of Lancing & Shoreham-by-Sea

Hello David, if you contact me on keighleyschools@gmail.com we can discuss this. Thanks!