KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Food you miss from KBGS days

Hi Bill,

I'm old enough to remember that we had five meals for 2s/1d. Pretty good value wasn't it? I really liked the fish we had on a Friday and the cheese and onion pie - was that served on a Wednesday? I also liked the rice pudding when my portion hadn't been polluted by the addition of salt administered by John Joseph Feather as he passed it down the table. He seemed to take great delight in making mine inedible! And to think he became a man of the cloth! But I'll give him his due - he's apologised for his misdemeanours since.
But back to Rhubarb Pie ........... made by my mother from succulent pink stalks of the rhubarb plant as grown by my uncle Bob in his back garden. He was a master in rhubarb growing! I think his secret was the fertilizer - 'hos muck' gathered in the street and liberally applied to the rhubarb carefully nurtured under an old bread bin. I liked it best served cold with plenty of warm yellow custard. None of the pink stuff at our house.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Pink Custard!

tapioca and sago

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains via Haworth

Quite right Arthur . I was going to mention it as I often remind Mary about the Pink Custard and she hardly knows whether to believe me . I began to wonder myself sometimes , not having Peter to contact about it but now it is confirmed , thanks .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

It even has a web page! School Dinners Recipes – Pink Custard

You used to be able to get a five pack (Brown and Polson), different custard powder flavours. A vanilla, a strawberry which was pink, a chocolate(brown) , a caramel(lighter brown) and a banana. I think they were intended to be set like blancmange, but we used to eat them hot like custard as an inexpensive dessert. Sister and I used to argue whose turn it was to have the bit with the skin which had formed on top of the jug!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Denis Pickles
Hi Bill,

I'm old enough to remember that we had five meals for 2s/1d. Pretty good value wasn't it? I really liked the fish we had on a Friday and the cheese and onion pie - was that served on a Wednesday? I also liked the rice pudding when my portion hadn't been polluted by the addition of salt administered by John Joseph Feather as he passed it down the table. He seemed to take great delight in making mine inedible! And to think he became a man of the cloth! But I'll give him his due - he's apologised for his misdemeanours since.
But back to Rhubarb Pie ........... made by my mother from succulent pink stalks of the rhubarb plant as grown by my uncle Bob in his back garden. He was a master in rhubarb growing! I think his secret was the fertilizer - 'hos muck' gathered in the street and liberally applied to the rhubarb carefully nurtured under an old bread bin. I liked it best served cold with plenty of warm yellow custard. None of the pink stuff at our house.

Good one Dennis. Good to hear from you. Cheers

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Some of the "dishes" served up in the '50s, although no doubt nutritionally as good as current conditions allowed, were given some graphic names........
"Stodge"; Fly Cemetery; Frog spawn; Turd Cart (Spoonerism !); and worse !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Wasn't rice pudding with a dollop of jam called 'Blood and Bandages' ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral