KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Food you miss from KBGS days

Plenty of jungle here but sans rhubarb

It's a family joke here that I still don't enjoy cabbage or prunes as a memory/legacy of school meals. Love rhubarb though. 2/1d bought you 5 school lunches in my day which is before most of you youngsters, David Seeley excepted!!! Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Meat and potato pie.

Can't say I miss any of the food from my schooldays but I do remember how we enjoyed the occasional dinner at the "British Restaurant" during the war .The sponge puddings and custard were good . It was the first time we had seen a system where you had a tray and moved along to have each portion added as required .The one nearest the school was in the street at the top of the Baths , off Highfield Lane . Anyone else remember it .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Pink Custard!

tapioca and sago

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains via Haworth

Quite right Arthur . I was going to mention it as I often remind Mary about the Pink Custard and she hardly knows whether to believe me . I began to wonder myself sometimes , not having Peter to contact about it but now it is confirmed , thanks .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

It even has a web page! School Dinners Recipes – Pink Custard

You used to be able to get a five pack (Brown and Polson), different custard powder flavours. A vanilla, a strawberry which was pink, a chocolate(brown) , a caramel(lighter brown) and a banana. I think they were intended to be set like blancmange, but we used to eat them hot like custard as an inexpensive dessert. Sister and I used to argue whose turn it was to have the bit with the skin which had formed on top of the jug!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Hi Mike, I do remember the 'British Restaurants' during the war years, one of which was located at Marlborough St Cong. Church, where Arthur and I attended Sunday School, although we never had meals there, or at Eastwood School where we both attended. Fortunately, we lived in a Cafe on Bradford St., where we both trotted home at midday, sat in the stairs and ate whatever my mother had cooked for that particular day. Cornish Pasties were a regular favourite, and we ate well. Mind you, we earned it! Just about every evening we would sit in the kitchen area, listening to the radio,shelling peas and beans,and chopping carrots,etc, until everything was prepared for the following day. Mother would serve some 50 lunches per day, which was a lot for such a little place. When Arthur and I moved on to KBGS in 1944 and'45,respectively, School was just a 10 minute walk away, and the same arrangements applied, although we did move house in '47. The evening vegetable preparations then ceased only to be replaced by 'homework'!!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Hi Bill,

I'm old enough to remember that we had five meals for 2s/1d. Pretty good value wasn't it? I really liked the fish we had on a Friday and the cheese and onion pie - was that served on a Wednesday? I also liked the rice pudding when my portion hadn't been polluted by the addition of salt administered by John Joseph Feather as he passed it down the table. He seemed to take great delight in making mine inedible! And to think he became a man of the cloth! But I'll give him his due - he's apologised for his misdemeanours since.
But back to Rhubarb Pie ........... made by my mother from succulent pink stalks of the rhubarb plant as grown by my uncle Bob in his back garden. He was a master in rhubarb growing! I think his secret was the fertilizer - 'hos muck' gathered in the street and liberally applied to the rhubarb carefully nurtured under an old bread bin. I liked it best served cold with plenty of warm yellow custard. None of the pink stuff at our house.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Denis Pickles
Hi Bill,

I'm old enough to remember that we had five meals for 2s/1d. Pretty good value wasn't it? I really liked the fish we had on a Friday and the cheese and onion pie - was that served on a Wednesday? I also liked the rice pudding when my portion hadn't been polluted by the addition of salt administered by John Joseph Feather as he passed it down the table. He seemed to take great delight in making mine inedible! And to think he became a man of the cloth! But I'll give him his due - he's apologised for his misdemeanours since.
But back to Rhubarb Pie ........... made by my mother from succulent pink stalks of the rhubarb plant as grown by my uncle Bob in his back garden. He was a master in rhubarb growing! I think his secret was the fertilizer - 'hos muck' gathered in the street and liberally applied to the rhubarb carefully nurtured under an old bread bin. I liked it best served cold with plenty of warm yellow custard. None of the pink stuff at our house.

Good one Dennis. Good to hear from you. Cheers

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Some of the "dishes" served up in the '50s, although no doubt nutritionally as good as current conditions allowed, were given some graphic names........
"Stodge"; Fly Cemetery; Frog spawn; Turd Cart (Spoonerism !); and worse !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Wasn't rice pudding with a dollop of jam called 'Blood and Bandages' ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

We used to go to Sunday School at the Cong Chapel cum British Restaurant. The chapel always smelled of cold cabbage. We used to take rides in a dumb waiter that was fit and used by the restaurant. Some taking great delight in stopping it halfway up/down and terrifying the occupant.

On the subject of custard do any of you remember Monk and Glass Custard? My favourite. It was a firm started by Monkhouse and Glasscock hence the name Monk and Glass. Bob Monkhouse was great grandson of the founder and there was a Monkhouse in my form at KBGS and also one in my billet in the RAF.
Just thought I'd let you know.

Monkhouse and Glasscock link here.