KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dad's school cap (Geoff Clapham)

I found one my dad's school caps recently, which is dated 1939-40, when he was 16. I'd be pleased to know what the cap was awarded for - maybe rugby or cricket or both? No doubt someone will know. The cap is in the school colours and has a long tassel attached.

Picture here

Re: Dad's school cap (Geoff Clapham)

There is a photo of Geoff wearing his 'colours' in the Rugby Section of All Photos, dated 1940/41,1st XI. There are five players wearing tasseled colours and Geoff is on the extreme right of picture,seated. I assume the cap he is wearing is the one shown on this thread although it is dated one year earlier.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

The cap in the picture is undoubtedly for Rugby. The cricket cap could be worn in play for the school. Although no doubt many "surviving" rugby caps are in less than pristine condition, they would never have been worn (tassel inc)on the field of play - be it Stoneycroft or Rose Cottage.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Thanks for that gents.
Dad was Frank Wellock's best friend at KBGS, and both had hopes of returning to the school on the teaching staff after the war. Frank, who will turn 90 this September, was five months older and finished his teacher training first. The rest, as they say, is history.

Current location (optional) Shipley

Good to hear that Frank is still going strong. I seem to remember that Frank returned to the school in 1948, my second year. (Can I trust my memory?) He was a very popular teacher. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Hi Bill, I'm sure Frank was at School when I arrived there in '45 which seems to be confirmed by the 1945/6 1st XV photo showing him in charge, standing, extreme right of picture. He was related through marriage, to one of my form-mates, Gordon Warin, who lived and worked as a farmer all his life, behind the Dog & Gun at Glusburn. Frank lives in close proximity.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley