KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lord 'Asa' Briggs

My dad's 92 today and we're taking his 1985 Holden Gemini in for a service - 300,000Km. They match each other!

Better than that, after a long search, I have put the article from the "Dalesman" August 1973 into the Misc . section of Photos. I can remember him as a student teacher at Highfield School in the late 30's when he taught the class my brother Peter was in .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Good article, Mike. Well worth reading. David

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Must be Watson Barnes - a fine figure of a man and voice - who was a chorister in the Holy Trinity (Lawkholme) C of E choir. He also sang and helped produce the music for some of my dad's productions for the scout/guides in that area.

Until the 1944 Butler Education Act was implemented in Keighley, (when the "excepted district" status for Keighley was established) , Eastwood and Parkwood elementary schools were each separate "all through" junior and secondary schools". Each district had Infant schools in Marlborough and Parkwood Streets respectively.

The Butler Act reorganisation in Keighley Borough left the 2 infant schools unchanged but Parkwood became the Junior School for the kids of both districts and Eastwood housed the new Secondary Modern. This meant that Doug, the Hockeys and me et al were all required to attend Parkwood from September 1950 prior to eventual onward transmission to the new secondary modern or grammar schools.

This had the effect of seemingly raising the school leaving age 2wice for young'uns like me in 1949.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I picked up a book today 'The Secret War". Foreword by Robert Harris. This interested me as Robert was at school with my eldest son in Leicestershire. So I read the foreword and the second paragraph I quote ---
"I met my first pair of Bletchley Park veterans by accident over dinner with a friend's parents in 1980, when I was 23. Typically, they were the daughter of an earl and a grammar school boy from Keighley, who had gone on to become a famous historian. by the end of the war, he had helped compile a set of records of the Luftwaffe, so voluminous they had to be housed in an aircraft hangar.and which eventually proved to be more detailed than those held by Goering's Air ministry in Berlin. She had operated a type X decryption machine - a simple clerical job- but the nature of her work meant that , at nineteen, she held in her head the greatest British secret of the war ; a fact of which she was acutely concious , she said , every time she ventured out in public "

Fifteen years later Robert wrote "Enigma"

Wonder if the lady in question is Asa's wife .

Needless to say I bought the book

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

I was too quick to jump to the conclusion that the Earls daughter was his wife. In an article about Asa and his work at Bletchley he. States that he did not tell his wife about his work there until 1970 Sorry to have misled you .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43/46

trevor pickles
My dad's 92 today and we're taking his 1985 Holden Gemini in for a service - 300,000Km. They match each other!

It's just run in Trev, he will need his cam belt checked soon. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ