KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
David Hockney art exhibition

The much acclaimed David Hockney art exhibition at the Royal Academy in London cost £13 to get in as a senior citizen. Too much, I think so. All East Yorkshire Wolds too. What's wrong with the Dales David!

Re: David Hockney art exhibition

I don't suppose they'd charge it if Londoners weren't daft enough to pay it!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

I went to the Hockney exhibition in the end and it was not worth £13. A fiver maybe. By a very strange coincidence an old boy of Oakbank Grammar School is painting my residence in Kent. His brush strokes are less complicated than Hockney's.

Current location (optional) Deep South

The Sunday Times Rich List for 2012 shows David Hockney as top of the 'Giving List', whose philanthropy, naturally enough,has taken the form of art rather than cash. In setting up the'David Hockney Foundation', he donated works valued at $120m(£76.5m).With further £750,000 in cash given by him to bankroll the foundation, he has given away more than twice his residual wealth of £34m to earn his place at the top of the giving tree.
Work from his foundation featured in the recent Hockney 'A Bigger Picture' exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts in London, which attracted more than 500,000 visitors!!!!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Hockney again hit the headlines last week when he was appointed to the Order of Merit, the Queen's most prestigious honour; an exclusive club with only 24 members at any one time. After turning down a knighthood in 1990, Hockney said that he did not "care for a fuss" and that "prizes of any sort are a bit suspect". Last year he complained that in 1997 he had been appointed a Companion of Honour by the Queen without his knowledge "because someone had opened the envelope" and he did not have a chance to reject it!!
There had been two recent vacancies in the Order of Merit since the death last year of the artist Lucian Freud, Hockney's friend, and that of Dame Joan Sutherland in 2010. Hocney was appointed alongside John Howard, the former Australian Prime Minister.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

I would sincerely hope that Hockney would reject the honour on the grounds of being associated with John Howard.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1961

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

I believe he has a VERY long spoon.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60