KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1950's toys

Mamod is still in business and I suppose (very) mature schoolboys can at last buy the engine of their dreams here.

Mrs was quite interested in buying one not too long ago when she was still teaching Physics.!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

I was undefeated at 'Risk'. This now worries me more than I care to admit in public. Am I some genetic descendant of Tamerlaine the Great, Ghenghis Khan, or (Providence forfend!) Napoleon?
Did the game release an aspect of my psyche of which I was unaware?
Am I some latent despot??
Are winners at Monopoly potentially, uncaring, greedy, ruthless capitalists, of which the world seems, currently, infested.
These are questions that demand answers.
Mamod steam engines are exempted from this concern. Engineers are always welcome.
And they are so much fun!!

Arthur - you must have had some weak opponents. Typically when my group of friends played each game was heavily influenced by the luck of the dice. Throw 3 1s and your army is decimated.

Napoleon wanted "lucky" Generals, if memory serves.

Is it the engineers or the steam engines that are so much fun? .......... Or both?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

And look what happened to Napoleon. Wellington threw 3 6s

Current location (optional) Singapore

Two, actually, Chris - Blucher threw the other one!

It was Richard Sharpe that weighted the die!

A fine No 10 - probably England's most exciting runner with the ball in his hands.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana