KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1950's toys

Just rediscoverd my 'Mamod' stationary steam engine whilst clearing out my office. It was my 'Christmas Present' around 1956 and I had drooled over the more-expensive model in Harry Wood's window for months. In the end, I only got the 59/6d version, with a single fly-wheel instead of the 99/6d version (with two fly wheels [operated independently by the way]) which one of my mates got from Santa. Mind you, he also got a Dan Dare suit a few years earlier! I can still see him running around Third and Fouth Avenues wearing it along with his Dan Dare ray gun!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 1966

Current location (optional) Embsay (but not for long)

Re: 1950's toys

I remember those well, though I didnt have one myself, I think your neighbour Brian S had one.
Have you got it going again ?
I guess I played with my Hornby Dublo more than anything, and Meccano , and Dinky Toys (all these three from same company in Liverpool). Meccano is still going but now made by a French company in France. Later on a 5 ft snooker table was popular. And of course board games, Monopoly, Cluedo, Careers, Totopoly (Shaun had that I think), and later still Risk. Your brother in law Bernard had I think a game called Scoop, and another one was Kimbo. I dont recall playing Scrabble in those days though.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Totopoly and Risk survived into my generation. Although I think these games were originally bought by my friend's older brothers, the eldest of which was 10 or so years senior. We were playing those games in the mid 70s. Risk is still going strong, I believe.

Ah, the Mamod Steam Engine. Methylated spirit, a fire, a high pressure boiler, superheated steam and small boys. What could possibly go wrong?
The more I think about those days, when we went around armed to the teeth with sheath knives, air-guns, bows and arrows etc., it's a wonder more of us weren't killed.

I started with a Hornby Dublo (Duchess of Montrose)set for Christmas 1952 from Harry Woods. With extra locos and track and truck, eventually it was sold and the funds produced a drum kit which I used to advantage - earning 30 bob per engagement (gig to today's wannabes). Sold,as it was, it part-funded an engagement ring which resulted in a wife and a life to treasure.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Mamod is still in business and I suppose (very) mature schoolboys can at last buy the engine of their dreams here.

Mrs was quite interested in buying one not too long ago when she was still teaching Physics.!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

I was undefeated at 'Risk'. This now worries me more than I care to admit in public. Am I some genetic descendant of Tamerlaine the Great, Ghenghis Khan, or (Providence forfend!) Napoleon?
Did the game release an aspect of my psyche of which I was unaware?
Am I some latent despot??
Are winners at Monopoly potentially, uncaring, greedy, ruthless capitalists, of which the world seems, currently, infested.
These are questions that demand answers.
Mamod steam engines are exempted from this concern. Engineers are always welcome.
And they are so much fun!!

Arthur - you must have had some weak opponents. Typically when my group of friends played each game was heavily influenced by the luck of the dice. Throw 3 1s and your army is decimated.

Napoleon wanted "lucky" Generals, if memory serves.

Is it the engineers or the steam engines that are so much fun? .......... Or both?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

And look what happened to Napoleon. Wellington threw 3 6s

Current location (optional) Singapore

Two, actually, Chris - Blucher threw the other one!

It was Richard Sharpe that weighted the die!

A fine No 10 - probably England's most exciting runner with the ball in his hands.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana