KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Class of '45

I was one of the old boys who attended the recent re-union at Utley hoping that I may meet up with some former classmates - there may be a few of them still drawing breath. I was denied that pleasure. True, there was the odd lad from the same intake in 1945 [Sorry David Seeley - didn't mean it like that!] and I did meet with several who had been at school in the immediate post war years. Altogether it was a delightful experience and Doug Thompson is to be commended for keeping the event alive.
However I am curious to know who might still be around and to hear what they have been up to in the last 65 years.
Terry Marston, a sprog of tender years with whom I now have intermittent contact, is convinced that there are scores of O.B's who log on to the site, who could contribute much of interest but choose not to. Any suggestions as to how they might be persuaded to get involved? The clock is ticking!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK

Re: The Class of '45

Is it time to name and shame, Denis?

(JOKE!!!)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

It has occurred to me from time to time - though I've not yet looked into it - that I might try an advert (or two, depending on the cost) in the 'Saga' magazine, before the next Reunion, whenever that shall be. Additional to the phantoms who read the website but never contribute, there must be very many Old Boys who don't even know of its existence or the School's continuing 'phantom' existence in the website, the biennial reunions and the minis. My piece in the 'Keighley News' brought in three or four 'new' people to this year's 'do'. Advertising nationally might well bring in some more. What do you think?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Douglas .I'd be happy to cover the cost of the advert suggested by you if that is the best way of bringing them out .Is the Saga magazine the one to target ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Mike, that really is a very kind offer. I'll make some inquiries and try and find out just what it would cost. I'm sure there are many Old Boys who do see the magazine - it has a wide circulation. However, if anyone else has any other suggestions of how we might contact our erstwhile schoolmates then I'm happy to pursue them.

Once again, very many thanks, Mike.

Doug

Saga Mag publishes a short column publicising reunions normally within its Readers' Letters section.
It states "Reunions notices are free and selected by a monthly draw". I suggest an insert be sent to
Readers' Letters, Saga Magazine, Enbrook Park,Folkestone, Kent CT20 3SE (Marked "Reunions Notices")
"OR e-mail editor@saga.co.uk".
Current subscribers will know there is also a very tasty "SagaDating" column.

Ah! That's why you're in Nirvana.

Rumbled ! Enfin...........

To the really observant (i.e. me), you were rumbled on the day of the Reunion!

Doug

Doug,
You could put a notice in "Health & Efficiency" or
"Spick and Span"

For your blood pressure's sake, don't google these two titles !!
(Lol, Lol !!)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950=55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

Thanks Derek, I had thought of 'Dandy' and 'Beano' as well. What do you think?

Doug