KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Boys Night Out

Thanks Brian I will do my best to at the Rodney on the 27th.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Thats good David. We will aim for 7 pm

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Just to confirm we have a quorum of 5-6 to meet at the Lord Rodney 7pm on Tuesday if anyone wishes to join us.

Hi Moatie,

I hope last night's KBGS bash at the Rodney went well. I was with you in spirit and hope soon to be with you in person after I retire next year and move back to Yorkshire. So ... keep us posted as to 'where and when'. Cheers, Geoff

Current location (optional) London

Any pictures for the site?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Hi Geoff,
Thanks, it went slightly wrong, when for one evening only, the Lord Rodney were unable to provide food ! But we went along North Street to 'Villa Fiore' Italian instead. We had another member of the clergy with us, Rev Brian Goodall who is a Baptist Minister in Dewsbury (he was always in my form at KBGS) - some may rememeber him.
I also retire at end March, so I will then not be working in Yorks three days a week as I do at present, but we will try to find a way of having a 'boys night out' form time to time.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Sorry Terry we took no pics.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

I'm afraid that my days of being a member of the clergy are long past though I still retain the title. These days I try to run a university and pretend I'm an academic! Full marks for forward planning at the annual lads' bash! But at least you didn't go hungry! Cheers. Geoff

Current location (optional) London

A few of us KBGS are meeting again at the Lord Rodney at 7pm on Tuesday 28th Feb for a drink and a bite to eat. So far beside myself we have Shaun Pye, Kevin Howley, Brian Goodall, Mike Boothroyd, David Boddy. Anyone else would like to join us ?

I'll try and get there myself, Brian, all being well.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

As I aim to be in the UK in June I might join you now that David has indicated he will probably be there .Do overseas visitors qualify. By the way where exactly is the Lord Rodney ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Without doing the research, Mike, I think it was in the Lord Rodney (Church Green) where the Rev Miles Gale met with other benefactors and decided to fund a grammar school. Drake and Tonson got in there somewhere.

Keighley kids never looked back again. No Keighley kids did owt much afore then, to my limited knowledge - but see what's happened since!!

As a FP, Mike, you will be as welcome as the flowers in May - especially in the cradle of the old school.

I must have had a seniors moment, read the first entry of this topic and noted the date in June and then moved on a year and said I would be there . Sorry to have misled you and hope the evening goes well next week.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Well nine (3 Brians, 3 Davids, Shaun, Mike and Kevin) of us made it last night at the Rodney, and what a good time we had. Good food , good drink and good company. Thanks to all of you who came.

Should this not read "to" The Rodney?

If it really is 'at', Terry, and not 'to', then clearly the 'Rodney' is the place to go in Keighley (years back it was the 'Black Horse', I seem to remember). Where was/is the 'Black Horse', by the way?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Cottingham, East Yorkshire

Open to correction - but I seem to recall it was on the left going up Low Street, near the top opposite the Woolies.

Well, that's vaguely where my mind had it. It figures as a minor 'character' in the novel I'm currently working on - though I was never in it, I hasten to add, just knew about its reputation - the 'Black Horse Fairies' - which didn't mean then what it would very likely mean today!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Cottingham, East Yorkshire

Yes, The Black Horse did indeed stand at the corner of Market Street and Low Street and the building itself still stands, occupied at present, by an 'Ethel Austin' cheap(ish) clothing emporium. If my memory serves me right, the pub was stuggling, financially some 20(plus) years ago and closed following a mysterious a fire, and remained unoccupied for some time. I looked at the building this morning and noted all the ground floor windows on Market St have all been bricked up and interestingly, the portiico that covered the main entrance to the old pub on Low St. still remains above a large plate glass window courtesy of Ethel Austin. I'm pretty sure that Ethel was not(repeat 'not'),one of the previously mentioned 'fairies', who notoriously frequented the Black Horse in years past.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50