KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Colin Kirkham - KBGS's Marathon Olympian

For those of us who remember Colin pounding the streets of Keighley in the late 50's and early 60's they will also remember him competing at the Munich Olympic Games in 1972, The European Championships in Helsinki in 1971 and the Commonwealth Games in Christchurch, New Zealand in 1974. This year Colin is running the London Marathon to raise funds for his grandson, Morgan, who suffers from a debilitating breathing disease. The funds that Colin raises will be shared between the 'New Life Foundation for Disabled Children' and Coventry's 'Tiny Tim's Centre' both of which have helped Morgan, as well as numerous other children in thir struggles.

For every £1 donated, donors will be able to estimate Colin's finishing time and the closest will win Colin's medal, next closest his London Marathon 'T' shirt, third closest his London Marathon Runner's Bag etc.

For more information check Colin's blog at:

colinkirkhamslondonmarathontrudge.blogspot.com

and for those 'old boys' and anyone else who wishes to sponsor Colin, this can be done at:

http://www.justgiving.com/Colin-Kikrham0

If you fancy a good read then check Colin's blog at:

http://colinkirkhamslondonmarathontrudge.blogspot.com/

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 1966

Current location (optional) Embsay

Re: Colin Kirkham - KBGS's Marathon Olympian

I do remember quite visibly Colin Kirkham. Was his nickname 'Kicker Kirkham' because of his interesting running style. Would I be correct in thinking he was a member of Bingley Harriers.

Another top class runner was John Penrose at about the same time. I have no doubt the rugby-orientated Gilbert Swift thought they were 'suet puddings'. Top class athletes in fact.

Re: Colin Kirkham - KBGS's Marathon Olympian

Not quite.

Penrose was younger than me and Colin was at KBGS when I was at Ingrow , so there's a quite a few years between them.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 1966

Current location (optional) Embsay