KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Archive

Keith - pls scan it and also upload it here!
(use Add photo link from home page)

Thanks
Chris

Thank you Keith. I have some note books/logs from the camp, but there are a number of gaps. The logs books make interesting reading and certainly looking at some of the menus some hearty eating went on or is that just for the purposes of the log book! An interesting element of one of the log books is that it lists heights and chest measurments of the boys who went up and what they were when they came back but there is no information as to why this data was collected. Was it common practice?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) Still here!

Hello Rachel - any entries for the 1930s when my father (Colin Firth) went there?
Thanks
Chris

Ok Chris, article scanned and forwarded.
Cheers,
Keith.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-1960

Current location (optional) Embsay

"An interesting element of one of the log books is that it lists heights and chest measurements of the boys who went up and what they were when they came back but there is no information as to why this data was collected. Was it common practice?"
I remember asking my father (KBGS Circa 1933-38)why he never went to Kirky and he said that camp was originally intended for "sickly" boys.

Nice to hear from you again Keith, another Lund Parker, and demon fast bowler for Knowle Park Congs. Hope your sister is also well.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Thanks Brian. Not sure about the "demon" but bowling skills honed on Lund Park bandstand! I'll pass on your regards to Glenis, she is very well thank you.

Hi Chris, so far the only entry I can find for a C. Firth is in the report for the Keighley Boys' grammar School, July 1955. At the end of the report it lists Old Boys appointments, degrees etc and Firth, C (1934-40) - Final examination, Society of Incorporated Accountants and Auditors. I do have more material to go through which is currently with the history department so I'll let you know if I come accross any other entries.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) Still here!

Rachel -- Thanks, was thinking more of the his being in one of the lists of "heights and chest measurments of the boys who went up". Anything from the 1930s?

Keith -- nothing received regarding "article scanned and forwarded."

Chris

In the old school, the panorama school photos were displayed on the walls of the corridors. Some copies of these are displayed on this site - but there is not a full set. It would be a wonderful discovery if the missing years are in the collection that Rachel speaks of.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Terry, I have a copy of the 1964 panorama which my brother gave me to upload onto the site. It must surely have been the very last one at the old school. However, the technological wizadry required to accomplish that feat is beyond the skills of this particular OB. Maybe you can explain how to do it when we meet next week?

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Cottingham, East Yorkshire

Hi Chris. Yes, I had a problem with my scanner which I could not resolve before I left for a weeks holiday. Dave Baldwin offered to scan the article and send it but he has been scuppered by BT. He has had no internet connection whilst I have been away. Hopefully you will have it fairly soon now.
Cheers

Keih.

Come back, Rachel, we need you !!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

We used to have some panarama photos from the KBGS days in reception, they were removed during some building and decorating work so I'm trying to track them down. However in the process I have come across a large collection of sports team photos, school production photos and some of the school camp ranging from 1917 to about 1952/3. I have also discovered some very pristine photos of what I assume are prefects from 1955 - 1958. I think I need to master the art of scanning and let you see some of these. I'm still trying to fill in some of the gaps around the 1957 - 61 era

Glad to hear from you again, Rachel. When I was in school at the old place, there were many panoramic photos on the walls of the corridors. Whenever I was permitted time to stop and stare I would try to find my Dad who was in school around 1922 (he was born 100 years ago this year) to 1927. I hope you can resurrect these missing archives.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-1960

Hello Rachel,
In association with the Keighley & District Local History Society we are trying to collect together Keighley's educational history and would love to help preserve the Boys' Grammar archives. We have a website www.keighleyschools.co.uk
Regards, David

Current location (optional) Keighley

"I'm still trying to fill in some of the gaps around the 1957 - 61 era"

Hi Rachel. I rang you a few weeks ago hoping to call at the school and see photos, magazines etc. You said then that you would try to trace 57-60 stuff. I see you are still trying. Could you let us know on this site when you have any success so I can ring again and arrange to see it.
Thanks

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-59

Current location (optional) Denholme garethwhittaker99@hotmail.com

Dave Boddy and I would also be interested in calling-in to see what Rachel has found and, so as not to waste her time, wonder if a single co-ordinated visit could be arranged rather than individuals arranging to visit at different times?

Would it be possible to provide a time and date via this post?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

I have panoramas for 1936 (quite damaged), 1946, 1954, 1958 and 1964 at Oakbank. I scan these in four or five sections and 'stitch' them together so they are quite big files but at least preserved. Have started putting the few copies of Keighlian into pdf booklets. I am on kirkwoodale@yahoo.co.uk

Sorry i haven't been in touch for a while - exam season and all that!

Any of you are welcome to comie in and have a root through the Archive. If you give me a ring at the school I will be happy to arrange a time with you. As someone did mention they some of the Keighlians are very wordy and can take some getting through.

Don't suppose there is any chance of borrowing a handful of items at a time so I can digitise them and hopefully preserve them for posterity? If not if you could find a room for me fore a couple of hours each time. We did this with the KGGS archive and now have over 1,000 photos plus school magazine, prize giving, scrapbooks etc.

I had no idea that IW's father was ex-KBGS. Ex Craig en Darroch yes. Of course.