KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best pub in UK

The Harp in Covent Garden says CAMRA. Hard to believe any pub can beat The Fleece at Addingham.

Current location (optional) London

Re: Best pub in UK

I know there are magnificent pubs in Yorkshire but I have to go for the Kirkstile Inn near Loweswater.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Like all great water-holes, good pubs get closed - unless they become gentrified such as to deserve mention in posh newspaper supplements for owt other than ale.

A pub is a pub is a pub - sadly shut is the Eastwood Tavern, Bfd Rooad.

A colleague of mine supped in a proper (reight) pub in Harrogate where his faither had been Tory mayor. One night a yuppie supper came in, ordered a drink and a packet of crisps.

The landlord eyeballed him and said - "This is a pub - not a restaurant!"

Know where and what you are supping or the licensee will drink the profits.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Terry, I wholeheartedly agree with you, a pub is a pub is a pub. Sadly, I live in a hamlet/village that doesn't even have a public phone or letter box let alone a pub. Fortunately, my neighbours and I all have big beer fridges and many a pleasant evening is spent in the garden supping on and trying to work out the best brew. The company is grand, we don't have far to go home and if one can't walk, we can allus tek 'em home in a barrer.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1961

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

What does a pub have to do/be to qualify for consideration as 'best pub'? As far as I'm concerned it needs to have real comfort, good food, a range of ales and, even more importantly, a decent wine cellar. The company I'm with also plays it part in promoting it... All very subjective... So what are the 'universal' criteria?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Universal criteria? Good beer, preferably Taylor's. Fresh pork pies, preferably Midgley's, open fire, a dart board, a crib board and a pack of cards, a bonnie barmaid with a sense of humour,plenty of beer mats and a juke box with volume control.

Anybody know of one with a snooker table?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Conservative, Liberal and Constitution Clubs seem to favour snooker tables rather than pubs. Presumably to fund their political masters. The Royal Oak seems to have improved in Keighley.

Current location (optional) Eldwick